• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sports training center sign layout critique

Just wondering what some of the pros think of this sign layout. It will be a front lit 3x6 parking lot sign, and the owner wants to keep with the stars and stripes theme.

Attachments

• Street Sign 1.jpg
    Street Sign 1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 133
  • Street Sign 2.jpg
    Street Sign 2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 128

Letterbox Mike

Neither one passes the squint test. Lettering on the American Flag is hard to pull off because there's no contrast. Try fading the flag in the background instead of keeping it at 100% opacity.

Circleville Signs

Honest opinion, I think it fails on several levels.

1. The flag background is overused. You can have a "stars and stripes" feel withought an actual flag.

2. The yellow text just doesn't work, and seems crowded in the sign.

Try to do something that let's people know that the facility is a sports training center -visually.

Gary

Pat Whatley

It's not working at all. The flag image is too prominent, and the problem there is going to be that if you lower the opacity enough that it doesn't take over it's going to look really faded. You really need to lose the flag or find a better way to work it in.

trik

The only way it may work with the flag, is to put a white glow around all the lettering to separate it from the flag, still probably is not going to look well, but may bring the lettering off better than now.

Honestly I would talk my customer out of this, as it will be very difficult to read. As others have stated you can give him the red, white, and blue in a different type of layout and get a much better effect. Remember your customer needs to get the best of what they pay for, and this will not justify him in the long run.

Good luck!

Jillbeans

It's sacrificing legibility for patriotism.
It's also busier than a cat trying to cover crap on a marble floor.
There is no focal point but the background, and that is not what should be the most important part.
There is a new set of fonts out from The Fontry with a patriotic theme, you would have to contact Michael Gene directly in order to get this set. But you can seperate the colors (I didn't here) to really look like a flag.
(I think he also has a Canadian flag version)
The wording is redundant, as the subcopy also says "Sports" I would see if that could be changed. The phone number has as much weight as the name.
The yellow clashes.
Here is a suggestion, not the best, as the big star may present a problem.
Mine is hard to read from the thumbnail too, but not as hard as yours.
:wink:
This could be a fun, effective sign.
Love....Jill

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 130

rjpjr

you mentioned the sign is supposed to be 3'x6'? ...a heads up...the sign you submitted does not scale to 3'x6'. It scales to a 44.8''x72''.

on to the layout... As mentioned above, the layout is not very legible. Show the customer the layouts he has requested so that he can see that they are not functional and then show something that is...

Attachments

• All-Star signs101.jpg
    All-Star signs101.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 142

JR's

Custom signs and designs, I would listen to everyone here they got good advice. The two layouts that you are showing are not working.
I think what RJ P. JR has come up with really nails what you're trying to achieve. It has a red white and blue theme and everything can be read easily. The borders are not being crowded and it flows. You could probably even put.com at the end of his name and a light color - between sport and center.

And Jill, busier than a cat trying to cover crap on a model floor. Oh my God that is funny crap right there, what a mental picture.

JR :)

Last edited:

Chad.

I think the problem with the sign, is that you spelled "Custom" with a K in your business name. That could very easily fix the problem.

Arlo Kalon 2.0

I thought we had a thread on here recently where someone posted federal law that prohibits lettering on top of American flag?

Jillbeans

rjpjr has a really simple legible solution!
Nice varying line weights as well.
JRs, that was one of my late father-in-law's sayings.
He could be shockingly funny, especially in innapropriate settings.

signmeup

The layout in post#9 would look even better without the flag. Something more geometric would work better than the photo.

nbarrett

Arlo is right. It is actually against Federal Law to use the flag in any kind of advertisement. But that only works if they enforce it.

Marlene

there is a fitness club in my area that does something very much like that and it's a horrid sign that can not be read at all. there is also some one locally that much have purchased a large format printer and prints all kinds of signs with complicated backgrounds and none of those work either.