• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spraying liquid laminate

CC-CMYK

I may have to liquid laminate some Phototex. I don’t have the need to liquid laminate things that often so I don’t have a liquid laminator.

My question is can you rollout your print and spray a light film with a hlvp sprayer and get good results?

Also, how long should I wait to roll up and move on to the next panel?

Also, what laminate would you recommend?

Stacey K

I like making signs
You can start on the ClearShield website. I use it for large signs and I use a roller. I can see some streaks in it if the sun hits it right so I would recommend spraying it. As for how to do that...no idea...is ClearShield compatible with Phototex...no idea but it's one of the more prominent liquid lams.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I've used Clear Shield for years. Be sure to use 'original formula' or 'classic'. Don't use any other formulation. Without a liquid laminator for myself, thinning the Clear Shield until it's about like whole milk or a mite thicker. Then mop it on with a foam brush. The liquid settles level, just make sure that the entire surface is coated. Never dry brush it, always a wet brush. My adventures in HVLP spraying it have all been less than satisfactory. Much less. Rollers haven't worked all that well either. Around here it's foam brush or nothing.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I've used Clear Shield for years. Be sure to use 'original formula' or 'classic'. Don't use any other formulation. Without a liquid laminator for myself, thinning the Clear Shield until it's about like whole milk or a mite thicker. Then mop it on with a foam brush. The liquid settles level, just make sure that the entire surface is coated. Never dry brush it, always a wet brush. My adventures in HVLP spraying it have all been less than satisfactory. Much less. Rollers haven't worked all that well either. Around here it's foam brush or nothing.
Bob, what do you thin it with? I have noticed it seems a bit thick which doesn't help the level process. Thanks for the tips!

Precision

We used to roll it on but then found Clear Shield Satin spray lam in an aerosol can. One of those gold nuggets It's easy, no mess.You control the coverage. The Satin sheen helps see your coverage when applying. No glossy finish. The paint smell when applying is about the worst of it. Dries pretty fast. Don't know if it would work for you. You might give it a try. It's about $9 or $10 a hairspray size aerosol spray can. There's also a gloss and matte finish available. Good luck.

sinclairgraphics1

Sinclair Graphics & Installations
I may have to liquid laminate some Phototex. I don’t have the need to liquid laminate things that often so I don’t have a liquid laminator.

My question is can you rollout your print and spray a light film with a hlvp sprayer and get good results?

Also, how long should I wait to roll up and move on to the next panel?

Also, what laminate would you recommend?
Back in the day I used clear shield before I had a laminator. It works well and I have signs I installed over 10 years ago that I drive by daily and the color still looks great. The rolling definitely isn't as good. You could try the HVLP gun and thin it out and that should work.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We used to roll it on but then found Clear Shield Satin spray lam in an aerosol can. One of those gold nuggets It's easy, no mess.You control the coverage. The Satin sheen helps see your coverage when applying. No glossy finish. The paint smell when applying is about the worst of it. Dries pretty fast. Don't know if it would work for you. You might give it a try. It's about $9 or $10 a hairspray size aerosol spray can. There's also a gloss and matte finish available. Good luck.
You need to be using a respirator a venting.

John Miller

Frog Juice is a great liquid clear that held up well for us before we got a laminator. It dries quickly. Don’t attempt to brush it. Spray with an HVLP gun. Thin with denatured alcohol.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Whats the application for the Phototex? do you really need to laminate it?
I've never laminated it but have used Clearshield and a ton of Frog Juice on vinyl years ago.

Foam brush like Bob said, Thin it and spread it as fast as you can so it levels out.

How large are the prints?