• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spraying SignPrime via HVLP?

signsolutions

Hello all,

We recently discovered the wonders of shooting Acrylic Latex through our HVLP.....now we no longer have to have custom-mixed automotive paint for our HDU signs. Saves big on $$$ and more color options with latex. Plus, the flat finish is the most ideal for most of our applications.

Has anyone tried spraying SignPrime through HVLP? I'd be interested in hearing your results and thinning down formulas.

-Keith Watkins

Sign Solutions

showcase 66

Hello all,

We recently discovered the wonders of shooting Acrylic Latex through our HVLP.....now we no longer have to have custom-mixed automotive paint for our HDU signs. Saves big on $$$ and more color options with latex. Plus, the flat finish is the most ideal for most of our applications.

Has anyone tried spraying SignPrime through HVLP? I'd be interested in hearing your results and thinning down formulas.

-Keith Watkins

Sign Solutions

I didnt realize you could shoot acrylic latex with my HVLP. Definitely going to have to try that out. Not sure about SignPrime.

Letterbox Mike

We used to spray it a lot, sprays well. It's fairly watery straight from the can so it never took much to thin it down. Depending on your setup, you may only need to cut it 10-15% or so. We always used distilled water.

Be aware though, if you're spraying this, it'll need many coats. It's designed to soak into the signfoam, so the thinner it is, the more it soaks in. Sometimes on large flat surfaces we found it helped to use a brush to help work the material into the foam a bit to avoid puddling.

Oh, and be sure to strain it really well, that stuff has always had major chunks floating in it.

Letterbox Mike

I've never had luck spraying latex HVLP. How much do you thin it down?

We usually thinned most acrylics (porter mostly) about 30-40% with distilled water. It really sprays well for the most part, but it is different than working with an oil-based paint, it atomizes differently and takes some getting used to. I wouldn't recommend it if you need a glass-smooth finish, but it's fine in most circumstances, especially sandblasted signs.

signsolutions

To update this thread, we ended up rolling the Signprime. The HVLP gun shot our Benjamin Moore exterior latex fairly well, although the volume of paint was smaller than we would have liked. (lot of small letters to spray, so it took longer than we planned)

For a pint of the latex, we added 1 oz. of Benjamin Moore extender and thinned it down with 10% water.

Our gun might be too small for the latex, but the finish was good in the end. We used flat latex, which is very forgiving when you're going for a consistent finish.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has good fortune with spraying latex through HVLP!

-Keith Watkins
Sign Solutions

John L

signsolutions - If you said it, I didnt see it. But what HVLP do you have? We apply some pretty smooth latex finishes with a cheap little Earlex HVLP Turbine unit. It was $500 at a woodworking store and lays a very nice coat of paint.

Now my HVLP gravity fed Harbor Freight gun... not so much.

shakey0818

If you want to cut latex paint use Flotrol for latex paint it is found in all paint stores.For cutting oil-based paint use Penetrol.Both these products wont effect coverage or drying time like water or thinner will.It also wont effect the paints warranty not that that will matter.

signsolutions

John L,

I'm embarrassed to report that I don't know what brand of HVLP gun we have here, but it's gravity fed. We actually have two guns: a 1.7 and a 1.4, used primarily to spray automotive paint onto our custom extrusions and cabinets. It almost sounded too easy to be able to spray latex (saw lots of mixing recipes on-line) I was pleasantly surprised that it even layed down, but now I'm just eager to speed it all up. (should be able to spray a dozen letters in 2 minutes, not a letter every 2 minutes!)

John L

Here's the one we have... http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2021222/25902/Earlex-Spray-Station-HV6900.aspx

It sounds like a vacuum cleaner when its running. The manual says the air is only at 8psi at the tip and it seems like it too... there is zero overspray and it's very forgiving if your mix is a little thick or a little thin even. I can dial it from about an 8" fan (vert or horiz) down to about 1/2" wide to hit the edges, etc. I thought we paid less but we actually paid $700 for ours but they are now $500.

I have tried three different brands of compressed air gravity fed HVLP guns (from $19 up to $225) and just had no luck at all with water based finishes. So I don't think I can help you with your gun.

Best of luck.

PainterDave

old post but ill chime in if you dont mind.

spraying latex with a HVLP.

for me a HVLP is to slow even with a big tip for latex i.e 1.6~2.0

a compliant gun will work much faster for you. is is compliant with the regualations of the HVLP but it is not restricted on material output.

i use a SATA 4000 RP 1.6 and 2.0 nozzle size or you would be good with a 1.8

just use caution spraying any waterborne thinded down so it dont crack