• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Spreading magenta ink

Bronson Holman

Hey everyone, I have an Epson Stylus Pro GS6000. Last week it started leaving a small drop of ink to the left of printer starting point on each pass and spreading the ink (Magenta) across the print. It would do so for about 2 inches, then it would print normally. It then went to 3-4 inches of spreading magenta ink. It now does it across the whole print, it doesn't stop till printing is done.

Anyone seen this before? If so what do you think I have going on? Don't say print head....

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
A picture will help a lot. Does it look like the head is misfiring nozzles at the wrong time or actual drops of ink splattering on the media?

unclebun

Sometimes a hair or piece of fuzz on the corner of a printhead will do that. It collects ink mist until it has a full drop, drops it on the print and then smears it.

Bronson Holman

I am taking a look now but as much as I wish that was the issue, I don't think it is. Take a look at the pics and tell me what you think.

Thanks in advance for you guys helping

Attachments

• 20171221_143205.jpg
    20171221_143205.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 147
  • 20171221_143213.jpg
    20171221_143213.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 131

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Ok so it's definitely an electrical issue. This can happen if the cables short out which could be caused by dust build up or even ink splatter getting on the cables. Also, sometimes the cable is just partially unplugged. I would check the head cables and replace them if they are damaged or dirty. Unfortunately if the cables don't fix the issue, it's going to be a blown head or main board.

Bronson Holman

Ok so it's definitely an electrical issue. This can happen if the cables short out which could be caused by dust build up or even ink splatter getting on the cables. Also, sometimes the cable is just partially unplugged. I would check the head cables and replace them if they are damaged or dirty. Unfortunately if the cables don't fix the issue, it's going to be a blown head or main board.
Thanks for your help. The problem was intermittent at the first and got worse. What you are saying makes a lot of sense. I am going to give your suggestions. Thanks for your help