Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suggestions Sprocket cleaning plotter FX edge 1&2

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Jeff grossman, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Jeff grossman

Jeff grossman Living the dream

Nov 17, 2018
    Pa 19320
    How do you all clean the gum buildup on the sprockets of your plotter and edge or FX - dentil tool , alcohol and brush .... (book says toothbrush and alcohol but it doesn’t do well and takes forever )
    I’m finding more and more build up these days - I’m not using crappy vinyl but it seems to build up a lot quicker these days .....
    Any helpful hints out there ?

Tags:
  2. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    I usually use Cue Tips soaked in either alcohol or naphtha. Clean in a circular scrubbing motion around each pin. Takes 5 or 6 to clean both sprockets. Once clean, do a quick second scrub with fresh solvent and Cue Tip to remove any remaining adhesive residue to slow down the next build up of adhesive. You may slow the next adhesive build up by wiping on a very thin coat of 3 in 1 oil. I've also heard of doing the job using a ballpoint pen barrel with an opening large enough to fit over the sprocket pins.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jburns

Jburns Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Denver
    I like to use tweezers- gets big chunks quickly.

4. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I use the Bic pen barrel trick to work it loose then wipe with an alcohol swab.