• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Sprocket cleaning plotter FX edge 1&2

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
How do you all clean the gum buildup on the sprockets of your plotter and edge or FX - dentil tool , alcohol and brush .... (book says toothbrush and alcohol but it doesn’t do well and takes forever )
I’m finding more and more build up these days - I’m not using crappy vinyl but it seems to build up a lot quicker these days .....
Any helpful hints out there ?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I usually use Cue Tips soaked in either alcohol or naphtha. Clean in a circular scrubbing motion around each pin. Takes 5 or 6 to clean both sprockets. Once clean, do a quick second scrub with fresh solvent and Cue Tip to remove any remaining adhesive residue to slow down the next build up of adhesive. You may slow the next adhesive build up by wiping on a very thin coat of 3 in 1 oil. I've also heard of doing the job using a ballpoint pen barrel with an opening large enough to fit over the sprocket pins.