• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

sprocketed plotter or feed plotter?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I do monuments, and the sprocket feed plotters work best for the heavy sandblast stencil. For me, it was a no-brainer.

For vinyl, the tracking over long lengths isn't so much an issue with sprocket fed plotters as it is with friction fed plotters.

If you're thinking of a sprocket fed plotter, be prepared to pay extra for the machine, and extra for the media.

shakey0818

ty james. i have a 15 year old gsx plus but hardly used but i need a new drum just wondered if i should put the $400 into a new plotter but i think ill keep what i got its a great machine and in great condition. ty for your reply

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Your old GSX will serve you well and everytime you are able to go off and do some other work while it reliably does its job you will be paid back as if you had an unpaid helper. We've used sprocket fed Gerber equipment since 1983 and continue to do so because we understand the limitations of friction feeding. In fact, we recently spent $1200 for a new carriage for our 12 year old Gerber Envision 375 plotter ... so my money is where my mouth is.

With sprocket feed you will be able to send a job to your plotter and leave it unattended. You will also experience the ability to cut near perfect stripes, borders and multi-line work at any length. Unlike one comment made here, I have not experienced having to pay any extra for sprocket punched vinyl.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Unlike one comment made here, I have not experienced having to pay any extra for sprocket punched vinyl.

Perhaps vinyl isn't any more expensive, but my Hartco material (from Wensco) tends to be about 20% higher for the punched...doesn't seem right.