• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Sq Ft Charges

Fmeroney

Hi all,
I'm looking to jump into the digital printing realm and would like some feedback if possible.

Currently we build trade Show booths and are looking to bring the print shop in-house. Without offending my vendors i would like to know what some of you guys estimate a job at?

However, I know that substrate, location, and other factors play in here but a ball park would be VERY helpful. Looking for what you charge your client and what it costs you. That will give a potential margin that will tell me if its worth even exploring. Pm me if you dont feel comfortable, i will not share any info with anyone else.

Thanks!

Fmeroney

This forum is daunting, been through a bunch of posts looking for info. Don't mean to re-hash... Trying to be efficient. Any idea where you saw those posts? Newbie section?

Fmeroney

I feel as if this is a "Trick" answer just like my father used to find the elsive "Jackalope".

if there is a pricing section... How bout a little hint. Obviously i already looked. But to my defense there has to be a 100 forums on this site?!

probably in the 'pricing' section, which just so happens to be only viewable if you are logged in

J Hill Designs

Fmeroney

Wow, that is cheap. Let me give you an example of what im getting charged.

lets say i have a gfx that is printed on vinyl, layed up on 1/4" pvc, roughly 45" x 92" with a simple character cutout, lets say a transformer standee, then router cut?This usually costs me around 8-10 a sq ft from my vendor. Does this seem out of line?

A sheet of 4' x 8' x 1/4" pvc, depending on brand, is usually around $48, so my material cost will be atleast $1.50 per sqft. Plus the vinyl and ink. I currently estimate my router at $2.00 a minute of table time

any feedback on that?

I always try to get 1 buck 2.49 a sq. ft. for everything I do

Biker Scout

OK, fine... I'm in Las Vegas. And I do work with Trade Show stuff. I'll let you know that you can get at least $12 sq. ft. for that kind of work, all day. Especially if they get here and have a print emergency it can climb as high as $18 per sq. ft.

Biker Scout

But banners? Forget about it... $1 sq. ft. to the public here. I don't print them in house anymore. Meh :noway:

My CNC table time is $1.50 per minute. So that's not out of line. But as I mentioned in an earlier post yesterday, it's not about the time or square footage... that's just info for your accountant. It's about the lasting value of what signage is all about. That's what you are selling. So, in your area... just "Price It 'till They Holler, Then Back Off A Dollar!" You get what you can get for it, without leaving money on the table, but provide the best customer service you can to outshine your competitors. Sell Value and Business Relationships, not vinyl and sintra by the sq. ft.

Fmeroney

Sounds right, send me a PM when you get a chance with your info. Im always in need for a local print shop when i have a show there.

OK, fine... I'm in Las Vegas. And I do work with Trade Show stuff. I'll let you know that you can get at least $12 sq. ft. for that kind of work, all day. Especially if they get here and have a print emergency it can climb as high as $18 per sq. ft.

Fmeroney

I like your pricing quote, might steal that... Credit of course. In the rest of the tradeshow biz i do have a very cometitive structure that is client based. Im also a firm beliver in the value of true customer service, where the customer is not always right.. But we let them think they are.

But banners? Forget about it... $1 sq. ft. to the public here. I don't print them in house anymore. Meh :noway:

My CNC table time is $1.50 per minute. So that's not out of line. But as I mentioned in an earlier post yesterday, it's not about the time or square footage... that's just info for your accountant. It's about the lasting value of what signage is all about. That's what you are selling. So, in your area... just "Price It 'till They Holler, Then Back Off A Dollar!" You get what you can get for it, without leaving money on the table, but provide the best customer service you can to outshine your competitors. Sell Value and Business Relationships, not vinyl and sintra by the sq. ft.

Biker Scout

Exactly... I think you've got it just fine. You should fit in well around here!

Welcome, btw... (I never say that to anybody... so feel special) :corndog:

TammieH

Not to sound harsh...but as I have said before I believe its rude to ask for pricing.

Now, having said that, apparently you were outsourcing your printing in the past, that should give you a pretty good idea what to charge.

It really isn't rocket science, if it were our rockets would be exploding on the pad!

Other than that, Welcome to Signs 101 :smile:

WCSign

I dont know about anyone else, but I like to ask pricing so that im not leaving money on the table. Besides, its more than likely any pricing I get on here will not be from a competitor.. So with that in mind, why is it rude?

TXFB.INS

I dont know about anyone else, but I like to ask pricing so that im not leaving money on the table. Besides, its more than likely any pricing I get on here will not be from a competitor.. So with that in mind, why is it rude?

+1

by getting pricing from others you can see trends in materials / products.