• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Square sign installation between round posts?

The SignChef

What is the best way to professionally install a Square (2" thick) HDU Sign between existing 4" round metal posts?

The solution seems simple, but the answer is eluding me.

Thanks for any assistance!

2B

What are your fabrication capabilities?

* If you can weld, put angle iron on the inside of round poles and mount your frame holding the sign to these tabs
* otherwise, get an adjustable bracket strong enough for the weight, and mount it like a pole banner

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Hey Signchef......... question for ya. Did you make ANY of those signs on your website ?? Reason I ask is, you have a few examples of what you're asking already on your website. Have you forgotten how to do it or is just about everything on your website copied from another source ?? Many of those signs I know for a fact are not custom made by your shop. Anyone in the sign business will recognize the vast majority of those illustrations. I only saw reference to one application from an outside source.

Anyway, this question isn't actually about your website, but why you advertise something you don't seem to know how to do, which is kinda simple, anyway.

Your website is very nice.

The SignChef

What are your fabrication capabilities?

* If you can weld, put angle iron on the inside of round poles and mount your frame holding the sign to these tabs
* otherwise, get an adjustable bracket strong enough for the weight, and mount it like a pole banner

We don't have on-site welding capabilities.

What type of adjustable bracket would you recommend?

2B

We don't have on-site welding capabilities.

What type of adjustable bracket would you recommend?

No idea, We weld

There are too many variables,
* don't know the overall weight,
* don't know the criteria for the Muni-Code where this is being installed.
* don't know the type of frame being used
* don't know the span between poles
ETC....

Billct2

I don't weld (wish I'd learned) but have a sub contract welder I use with a portable rig. After 35 years in the business you probably already knew that.

Scotchbrite

No comment
We don't work with HDU a lot and I can't think of a sign where we've spanned between posts with it. I would be nervous spanning much more than 4', especially if both sides have been carved out making the panel much thinner in places. I'd want to make 2 single face panels mounted back to back on a steel frame. If you can't weld it on, the frame could be bolted in place by thru bolting the round pipe. Just gets tricky making sure the holes line up thru both walls of the pipe.

Zendavor Signs

Mmmmm....signs
We don't work with HDU a lot and I can't think of a sign where we've spanned between posts with it. I would be nervous spanning much more than 4', especially if both sides have been carved out making the panel much thinner in places. I'd want to make 2 single face panels mounted back to back on a steel frame. If you can't weld it on, the frame could be bolted in place by thru bolting the round pipe. Just gets tricky making sure the holes line up thru both walls of the pipe.
+1 to this
We have done a number of these. You need a metal frame sandwiched in for support, otherwise the HDU will bow.

CanuckSigns

Is the sign made from 2 separate pieces of HDU glued together or a single piece routed on both sides. If it is double sided I would get an aluminum tube frame welded up and you can hog out an area on the back side of the panels to accept the frame before you glue the 2 panels together.

If it's a single piece, I can't think of a way to do it, HDU isn't structural, you can't screw into it like you can with cedar. I guess you could have a welding shop make a bracket that frames the whole sign with flat bar and put some screws through that into the edges of the HDU. And use some type of epoxy as well, but this is just an off the cuff idea

The SignChef

Hey Signchef......... question for ya. Did you make ANY of those signs on your website ?? Reason I ask is, you have a few examples of what you're asking already on your website. Have you forgotten how to do it or is just about everything on your website copied from another source ?? Many of those signs I know for a fact are not custom made by your shop. Anyone in the sign business will recognize the vast majority of those illustrations. I only saw reference to one application from an outside source.

Anyway, this question isn't actually about your website, but why you advertise something you don't seem to know how to do, which is kinda simple, anyway.

Your website is very nice.

When we manufacture signs in-house and specify the posts, we spec square posts exclusively.

We outsource all of our round post and panel signs to specialty manufacturers.

Thank you for the kind words about our website - it's always under construction.