• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Squeegee preferences

B Snyder

I've used a 3M gold squeegee with the edge wrapped in velcro loop for years but I wonder if there's a better option when applying unmasked laminated prints.

There are squeegees with...

felt
microfiber
micro-fleece
micro-flock
3M paper sleeves
PTFE glass cloth tape
whatever the Geek Wraps squeegee has on it.

What's good? What's not?

RogueRoller

This all comes to preference of the end user.

As For my preference I have found the felt Squeegee to fit my needs best when I ran my sign companies and worked out in the shop.

I felt I had more control over the pressure and would glide over the inked surface better then others in my opinion. plus i could see when i needed to use a different edge because of ware, dirt or ink build-up.

I also felt none at all worked well if the print did not have a proper time to sit and relax the vinyl.

For laying prints 24"X18" or bigger I found the Big Squeegee to do wonders any hair line marking from the Squeegee all went the same direction, making them less noticeable. For the edge on that squeegee it was more of a felt covered edge with a cloth tap cover.

kffernandez

i just ordered my starter kit from geek wraps.
are they really usable for 400k wipes each? bec if not, i might need to order a few more now and avoid the additional shipping charges. [i'm from asia]

kelly

btw, sorry OP for the plug!

Malkin

We've used the 4" MACTAC brand felt squeegees for years.

It's one of those tools that gets better with use, as long as you keep it clean.
It's initially too square at the edge. Sometimes I will even intentionally soak it, after it dries it becomes rounder along the edge and slightly more rigid overall.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
+++1 again.... Geek Wraps squeegees are the best. Get em by the box and save a bit.... Not real suede but does feel like it. They are pretty much a Lidco teflon squeegee with double layer of some sort of super durable microfiber cloth and a thin metal peice along one side for extra rigidity. Note - the metal is nowhere near the edge so not worries about it coming out or scratching anything.

Another one I've not yet tried but I'm guessing might be nearly as (if not just as) good are from Image1Impact - looks identical but with colored suede. http://www.image1impact.com/wetedge-vehicle-wrap-ultra-suede-teflon-squeegee

Also - wetting a geek squeegee - nice in a lot of situations. ;)