• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Squeegee Questions

Keith Jenicek

Here's a site for you...www.lidcoproducts.com
Thay have squeegees of all kinds. We prefer the felt and the Teflon squeegees for application without transfer tape. The Teflon glides over the vinyl rather well and works for transfer tape application as well.

Invest in a Big Squeege. These are offered in different sizes and can be cut down to a custom size. I love my custom cut 8" Big Squeegee. It will save you tons of time!

kylelnsn

I have some concepts I want to share in a week or two, as I am making some models etc to try out. In the mean time I want to create a bit of a montage of users and their squeegee. I need some participation for this ;)

So below is the kind of image I would like but obviosuly instead of a card a squeegee. Could you email me at kylelnsn '@' gmail.com a photo like this??? Thank you! :)

Attachments

• idcardDM2611_468x647.jpg
    idcardDM2611_468x647.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I have 30 years experience in tool and die work (plastic molds) and manufacturing, and from my vantage point I think re-designing the squeegee might be a little bit like trying to re-engineer a wooden pencil....or perhaps even toilet paper. We've seen variations in themes for each of these products, but overall they function very much the same as they did a century ago.

I'm all for innovation, and I commend you on taking on this project. I think where you'll find the most latitude for innovation will be in the realm of new squeegee materials. You can tinker with designs (ergonomics and creature comforts, etc...), but I think you'll find that our present concept of a thin edge moving across a flat plane is just about at the apex of the the design curve...much like the pencil and tp.

And from a practical standpoint, the tooling costs versus product demand will also be another crucial factor. Special molds, tools and ancillary equipment needed to produce a single product are astronomical in cost, and must be offset by a sufficient sales volume....which is why some of our humble little squeeges cost next to nothing.

So, in a nutshell, I'm not trying to squelch your ideas. Just consider all the other factors and go for it!

JB