• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Squeegees - what kind do you use?

Kottwitz-Graphics

Hey guys. What squeegees do you guys use? And no, this isn't a nube question...

I have tried most of them, and several years ago, I got a couple of the 3M golds, and they work really well, but I got hold of some from LG (they are marked with HI-CAL on them), and they are my favorite. A little wider than normal, and they glide over the material really well. I got them from Fellers, and I wish they still carried them.

HulkSmash

Best are Geek Wrap Squeegees, hands down.

they're expensive, but worth every bit. I buy a case every couple months.

joeshaul

I've got a wide variety, however I find myself using my Big Squeegee and Yard Tool the most, as I apply with those.

Usually I go over the tape after application with any squeegee. I have a couple of 3m golds, a Mactac felt squeegee, a couple of squeeges with pre-applied loop fastener, and a few with my only loop fastener, just plain jane squeegees that are handed out at sign shows! I also have a 12" squeegee I bought from Ordway that I use when the yard tool's too big and space is limited.

Haakon

I ordered a set of Geek Wraps squeegees after seeing a positive review of them on this forum.

And now they are the only ones I use, top quality and a supernice feature of a small metal strip inside the microfiber so they stick to the GW magnets that hang on the car anyway, no more putting them in pockets or tool belt everytime you need to let go of it, just stick it to the magnets.

Used to use 3M gold, and blue Averys because of the felt covering on one of the sides. Now I mostly use the 6" GW for applying large graphics on cars, and when applying the application tape to cut graphics. Also use the 1" GW for tight spots when the 6" is to big.

Attachments

• RPZ28KN.jpg
    RPZ28KN.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 47

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
White nylon, or maybe it's teflon....very slippery and glides across transfer tape.

JB

Richard G

I was just on the phone to my wife "at home" and told her of this post and she said I had to chim in and tell people of the Geek Wrap Squeegy. She absolutely loves them and they last a really long time. Needless to say i'd use a hammer. Guess that's why I do the computer work and she does the installing.

visualeyez

For small graphics or anything not flat, I use the 3M gold and add some velcro. For everything flat, I make my own out of scrap 6mm sintra. I have a 6", 9", 12", and 15" that I just radius the top edge on the belt sander then round the corners to make it ergo. Apply some fuzzy velcro to the bottom and your set. For the larger sizes I cut down those large diameter carboard tubes (that banner material comes in) on the table saw twice to make a C shape and just epoxy that to the sintra. Straight edge and some clamps help it dry straight.
I am a little over-thorough when it comes to stuff like this though. I like to be efficient and apply as much force as possible to the graphic at once without using too large a tool and wasting energy/effort/time/money.
I also have straight-edges in just about every length possible for this same reason. And like all the heavy use tools, they are always within arms reach when at the table.

GypsyGraphics

I ordered a set of Geek Wraps squeegees after seeing a positive review of them on this forum.

And now they are the only ones I use, top quality and a supernice feature of a small metal strip inside the microfiber so they stick to the GW magnets that hang on the car anyway, no more putting them in pockets or tool belt everytime you need to let go of it, just stick it to the magnets.

ooooo, love the idea of the squeegees sticking to the magnets!!!

i made my own modeling/emblem remover, just like that one

what are those Geek Juices???

Haakon

I ordered the starter pack, and the wrap juice came included, have not gotten to try it out yet (doing very little wraps over here). But its basically a lubricant to use on your fingers while working the vinyl wrap into profiles and such, instead of using low-stick gloves or squeegees. This explains it better than I can:
http://youtu.be/dj7qLJ4GnCw

And yes, it's a great feature that they stick to magnets, makes them really nice to work with: http://youtu.be/2NVRFO3DTs0

andy

Buy a roll of self adhesive exhibition felt..... it's cheap as chips and lasts years.... I bought a smart Black roll about 8 years ago and it's still giving me "disposable microfibre" edges to all my standard Grey hexis squeegees.

If you REALLY want a magnetic squeegee just stuff a small piece of thin mild steel under the felt.

If you must have a small 1" squeegee just cut a normal one into thirds.