• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Squeezing Blood From A Mutoh.

The Sign Dude

All I want to do is print a true blood red or something that doesnt look orange. Any sugg? Ive changed my profiles and still get at best a tomato red. also not getting very good yellows either.
Thanks

Valentino

apparently the roland's can match red pretty good, or so I've heard from all the ad's

for my valuejet, printing out of flexisign 8.1 I just use the base red on the flexi color bar. I then boost the contrast and the vividness, by -5 and plus 5 respectively. that creates a very nice candy apple red, for blood I would knock the contrast down 5 more.

Valentino

roland makes a good point in their ads, everyone has a different preception of "RED" my candy apple red, might be tomato red to you. so If you don't already have a pantone color guide I'd say get one of those to help you get the formula for the color

What have you done as far as color management? What is the media that you are you trying to print on?

Before you go crazy and end up hating the machine, you need to sit back and read more about color management. The learning curve is great, but like riding a bike, you do not forget it.

Unfortunately, the only thing that is "plug and play" with these things is the physical installation. The supplied profiles that you will get/find are only valid with certain medias. Just think of copy paper and its varied brightness. That brightness (the white) will alter colors tremendously.

You will not absorb all color management overnight, so be patient with yourself and the machine. Even so, after you get a handle on color management, you will still find yourself needing and buying additional items such as PMS books and even monitor calibration equipment.

If all else fails, you could always get someone to professionally custom profile your equipment and your media. The only down side is that if you change anything such as media brand, ink, etc, your profiles will be off.

Check out this link. Look for posts by a name of "eye4clr". You will find much info there.

http://printingdigital.net/forums/color-management/

Good luck.

Urban Image

Pro Signs is right. Nobody can become a pro at color management without some learning time. My co-worker, Mike, went through years of classes and went to work at a giclee shop to become an ace at color management. Now, though, he can make perfect profiles in about 30 or 45 minutes.

Compilla

All I want to do is print a true blood red or something that doesnt look orange. Any sugg? Ive changed my profiles and still get at best a tomato red. also not getting very good yellows either. Thanks[/quote said:
1.- Please post a picture of the nozzle test.
2.- Are you printing on RGB ?

The Sign Dude

I know its going to take a while to learn, I guess im just getting impatient. I have learned a lot so far but im more of a hands on type person and its not easy deciphering all the info out there. I have people chomping at the bit to buy from me but im afraid I cant give them the quality of work that I need to from my printer at this time. I am going to pick up a new pantone color chart today. I can print great photos out of it I just havent figured out enough ofthe color management part of it like pro said. Guess i need to just get pointed in the right direction.
Thanks for the replies fellas.

I have people chomping at the bit to buy from me but im afraid I cant give them the quality of work that I need to from my printer at this time

The solution is simple - do not make promises or get in over your head. Do what you can or what is not color critical. You will gradually start to pick everything up - but it is very gradual. No matter how hands on you are (or hate reading), color management is something that needs to sink in.

Here are a few basics:

- Get you monitor profiled!!!!! 90% of all new mistakes start at the monitor.

- Set your software preferences to work in RGB.Your monitor CANNOT correctly display CMYK.

- Print RGB. The machinery will do the conversions for you.

- Get a color chart

- Spend 30 minutes a day reading about color management. I do not know you BUT learning color management is boring until you learn it, then it can become interesting.

- Do NOT bite off more than you can chew with you customers. That is an easy way to develop a bad reputation.

Good luck with the circus, because you just signed up! :biggrin: