• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stabilo alternatives?

joshb311

Not sure if this is the correct area to post this, but since I'm a noob I figured maybe here was the best place.

I have used Stabilo pencils from SignWarehouse for making easily removable alignment marks on surfaces but I live in the boonies and it's not exactly cheap to order a box of them by themselves. I was wondering if there were any suggestions for alternatives to them besides the Sharpie china marking pencils. I hate the tear away design of the Sharpies as I always have trouble getting them to a good fine point consistently. They also don't seem to react too well with denatured alcohol for some reason.

I saw something at Grimco, I believe Staedtler was the brand name. It appeared to be similar to the Stabilos but I was hoping to find something that might be a bit more accessible to me that I could find at a chain store or something of the like.

Any help is appreciated.

SignosaurusRex

I believe the Staedtler you reference is the "Omnichrom" or "Lumocolor 108-xxx" (same beast) available in six colors. The cost is comparable at best, to the Stabilo but seems a lot harder to find. The plus is that it does not seem to be so susceptible to melting in higher temperatures as the Stabilo. Been using the Stabilo's for 40+ years. No reason to change.

Craig Sjoquist

2nd the Lumocolor omnichrom...

Down South these do not melt & do not need to keep them in the refrigerator plus they sharpen better, wash of with water touch of soap or break dropping so bad.

Handed out 2 boxes at a letterhead meet & everyone was thrilled to get to try & months later wanted more.