Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stainless tank trailer vs vinyl.

Discussion in 'Vehicle Graphics' started by flamepainter, Dec 18, 2009.

1. flamepainter

flamepainter New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Greetings,
    The tanks are winning. I have lettered many tank trailers in the past (painted steel and aluminum) and they always have issues on the top of the letters if they are on the sloping area. The snow and ice build up and rip the top of the vinyl a bit when it slides off. On paint and alu my vinyl (HP Avery) will last a few years before touch ups are required. These stainless trailers are shedding the vinyl on the slope.
    Just wondering what others have done/used to remedy this.

Thanks!

flamepainter

Tags:
  2. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I haven't done one before, but I've heard you must use a special vinyl for stainless surfaces. Regular high performance vinyl won't hold up. Search the forum - I can't remember what the suggestions were.

Good luck.

3. mzick

mzick Member

Dec 3, 2008
    3M has a product specifically made for stainless steel applications -
    check out 3M 181-10

4. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    i was looking at that too. my only concern is its only rated/warranted for screen printing or electrostatic printing, not solvent :(

5. newyork

newyork New Member

Oct 27, 2009
    2 funny ProWraps! Sometimes it's the ones with a sense of humor that will win out over all the rest! Keep it up, things will get better or at least I hope they will. Merry Christmas to all:)

6. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    We letter Anhydrous tanks, Propane tanks, Fuel tanks. Painting the logo on is the best method. We have tried vinyl, digital prints, screened decals. Paint seems to last the longest and is the easiest to touch up. So bust out your ponce wheel, maul stick and the brushes, if you even know what a ponce wheel is....

7. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Mosh you talking about these:help

See Mosh we know what you are talking about:omg:

Attached Files:

8. flamepainter

flamepainter New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Mosh,
    Yeah I know what a POUNCE wheel is, and I'm talking about stainless trailers. Ever try getting paint to stick to that? Don't assume since I don't have a thousand posts that I have no experience. Try 25 years.

9. Sherry2006

Sherry2006 Member

Sep 18, 2009
    :popcorn: