• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stair Graphics?!?

numenaeolian

Hey Everyone!

I have a customer requesting stair graphics. I have been in touch with multiple vendors for suggestions, but some advice from someone who has actually done them before would be much appreciated!

The stairs will be outside, they will get VERY heavy foot traffic and the customer wants them to last forever (ha ha ha), I'm hoping they will last one football season....

What material have you used and how do you layout the graphics to appear seamless?

:thankyou:

Jim Doggett

Hey Everyone!

I have a customer requesting stair graphics. I have been in touch with multiple vendors for suggestions, but some advice from someone who has actually done them before would be much appreciated!

The stairs will be outside, they will get VERY heavy foot traffic and the customer wants them to last forever (ha ha ha), I'm hoping they will last one football season....

What material have you used and how do you layout the graphics to appear seamless?

:thankyou:

Probably this, but I'd check the product liability statement to see if stairs are okay, too. Plus if there's a textured surface on the stairs, you may need a film that's for brick, asphalt, etc.

Something tells me this is a lawsuit waiting to happen, unless some no-slip can be integrated into the design/application.

rfulford

Use concrete vinyl and a non skid over laminate. Break up the graphic to match the riser height of the stairs plus about 3" of bleed to wrap over the top of the stair. These really only look good from ground level dead on. Otherwise, its kind of a jumble.

numenaeolian

Use concrete vinyl and a non skid over laminate. Break up the graphic to match the riser height of the stairs plus about 3" of bleed to wrap over the top of the stair. These really only look good from ground level dead on. Otherwise, its kind of a jumble.

Thank you! Have you used the Avery material that has to be power washed off? any success? Any good for stairs?

In the meantime, I had a different customer requesting floor graphics...These will be used indoors at a high school. The floor will be pretty smooth and the prints will be cut out paw prints. I'm worried about the graphics lifting because most of the approved floor laminate seems pretty thick...

10sacer

Be aware that there is - unbelievably - a utility patent issued for stair graphics.

See link: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...50&s1=6041533.PN.&OS=PN/6041533&RS=PN/6041533

I only know this because several shops have been issued cease and desist or take-down orders for doing this. The argument that it is ridiculous that this was issued a patent has been fought many times.

Obviously - based on looking at a lot of wide format guy's websites - there are a whole lot of people doing it anyway.

I think the company that patented it was Ad Steps or Ad Stairs.

numenaeolian

Be aware that there is - unbelievably - a utility patent issued for stair graphics.

See link: http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...50&s1=6041533.PN.&OS=PN/6041533&RS=PN/6041533

I only know this because several shops have been issued cease and desist or take-down orders for doing this. The argument that it is ridiculous that this was issued a patent has been fought many times.

Obviously - based on looking at a lot of wide format guy's websites - there are a whole lot of people doing it anyway.

I think the company that patented it was Ad Steps or Ad Stairs.

Yea, I know who you are talking about. It's actually an "advertising company", not a full blown sign shop (whom I refuse to link to). It's absolutely absurd that they would be issued a patent for it (although I do give the company kudos for having the sand to take out a patent knowing full well that they are going to receive some confrontation from the rest of the industry). It would be like someone being issued a patent for vehicle wraps, traffic signs...anything really.

CheapVehicleWrap

Yea, I know who you are talking about. It's actually an "advertising company", not a full blown sign shop (whom I refuse to link to). It's absolutely absurd that they would be issued a patent for it (although I do give the company kudos for having the sand to take out a patent knowing full well that they are going to receive some confrontation from the rest of the industry). It would be like someone being issued a patent for vehicle wraps, traffic signs...anything really.

Does this company have the resources to enforce their patent?

numenaeolian

Does this company have the resources to enforce their patent?

Not really sure. What's interesting though is that two more companies were found who have "patents" or one at least who has the rights to do stairs graphics without a patent? 0.o

Either way, I still find it ridiculous that a patent was issued for this and it may or may not stop me :biggrin: