• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Start-up Graphics Biz for my Son

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin T

I was polite and certainly didn't threaten you in any way. I directed you to 3 companies that have the equipment you are looking for and the specs for the various sized machines are located on their individual sites.

The rest was merely provided for your consideration. You can take it however you like. It was meant in the spirit of giving you some insight without being overly rude. But the bottom line is you want to play around at this, most of us do not. That doesn't stop you from doing what you want or need to do but hopefully it gives you pause to consider that this isn't a "part-time" job or hobby for us. That isn't 70% arrogance my friend it is 100% reality. If you find that threatening or insulting my apologies. I do mean good luck and perhaps you could use a slightly thicker skin. Cheers!:biggrin:

The capital for such an endeavor is counted in 7 figures at minimum.
Good then you can appreciate the 7 figure investment some of us have in our businesses...minimum. You looking for what you want is like me asking you how to start a network with a cell phone and $750.

Pat Whatley

If you use Vonage, you likely use my network. The capital for such an endeavor is counted in 7 figures at minimum.

You made 7 figure investment in your network but your budget for getting in the sign business is $750? Why in the hell would anybody with 7 figures kind of money lying around want to get in the sign business? To see how fast they can turn it into 5 figures?

Wow, I never expected this to be such a threatening discussion.

ON a side note, I am in the telecom business. If you use Vonage, you likely use my network. The capital for such an endeavor is counted in 7 figures at minimum.

I wish I could take that with credence but, I think I have fallen on a den of 70% arrogance and 30% "good heart" and not worth my continued time.

Moderator, please remove my post before any other "professionals" become upset.

Dont worry 95% people hate new people with low post counts..
unless you are on the in group..everyone will talk sh*!

Needless to say.. i'm not one.

I started just like your son. I was at the SEMA show and saw a cutter booth. I started with the swap meet files you can find on ebay and made some ok money..
Long story short i make a very good living selling decals and signs.
Just bought and paid in full (which not alot of people on here can say)
my Roland SP300

Its a great hobby/business to get into..

Last edited by a moderator:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
One post here suggested farming out the production ... and it is probably the best solution for you and your son. Here's why:

The hard part of this business is learning

• Sales
  • Business management
  • Layout and design
  • Materials
  • Installation
Since he already has Adobe Illustrator, he has everything he needs without spending a dime to sell a job, create the graphic, select the right material, install the graphic, enter it into his books and bank the check.

Oh yes ... the graphic needs to be produced. To do that there are two ways to accomplish the task.

1. Buy hardware, bridge software, materails and provide space for it all.

2. Outsource the production from your own files specifying the materials to be used.

Investment for choice #1 = $1500 to $3000 minimum. Value of experience gained by in-house production - very little. Money saved per piece produced - a few bucks each. the production side of vinyl graphics is the most labor intensive and investment intensive part of the whole deal and is also the worst return on one's time.

Investment for choice #2 = $0.00. Value of experience gained by focusing on design, sales and business management - lifelong value. If you spend an extra $5 on average for production of your decals and vinyl graphics and your son ends his career in computer graphics after selling 100 units of this or that, he will have made a profit but avoided any investment at a cost of $500 out of his profits. If he really thrives at it and enjoys doing it, then buy the hardware and materials at a later time and pay for it out of the profits from the business.

In a city the size of Las Vegas, with the economic downturn like it is at present, you could probably find a dozen sign companies in an hour of phoning around who would welcome your call and your business. With an honest presentation of what you need from them, they would welcome your production business and give you some reasonable wholesale pricing along with advice on materials and techniques.

This business is about design and salesmanship. Don't be hypnotized by the technology.

T

tcrowder

$750?

Why not buy him a skillet & a spoon and then go into the catering business??

Why be a smarta**, why not direct him to a MM where he can get what hes looking for.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Wow, I never expected this to be such a threatening discussion.

ON a side note, I am in the telecom business. If you use Vonage, you likely use my network. The capital for such an endeavor is counted in 7 figures at minimum.

I wish I could take that with credence but, I think I have fallen on a den of 70% arrogance and 30% "good heart" and not worth my continued time.

Moderator, please remove my post before any other "professionals" become upset.

When you registered here, assuming you read the form, your were told that this forum is for sign making professionals and those who want to be. It was suggested that if this was not the case, to please not register.

Instead, you replied in the affirmative to this statement

I am, was or want to be in the sign making profession.

and as a result your registration was approved.

Your questions received a lot of good responses which, collectively, represent a couple of hours of other people's time that you just wasted.

Telling it like it is, you sir are the arrogant one. As you stated on behalf of you son, you have other plans for him and, truth be told, have no conviction that the profession of sign making is anything more than a temporary way to keep him occupied. In addition, it is your son who should be the registered member and asking the questions. You certainly failed the honesty check when you registered here.

Flame

" Dont worry 95% people hate new people with low post counts..
unless you are on the in group..everyone will talk sh*!"

I have nothing against anyone with post counts. Post counts mean zilch.

I am offering real advice because I was once in the same situation. Read back.... starting out, 15 years old, not much of a job, had to scrap up the money myself. I think it's possible, just need a slightly larger budget.

And to the OP, PM me and I'll be happy to make a list of must haves to get started.

Kevin T

Don't worry about the morons, they treat everyone the same around here.

Not sure who the morons were. But I'll try to be more helpful and less confrontational next time. You let me know when I get it right.:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

T

tcrowder

You should delete all the smarta** posts too. This is after all a forum for professionals. What a joke that is.

Flame

You should delete all the smarta** posts too. This is after all a forum for professionals. What a joke that is.

How about just sticking to 201 rather than causing trouble here? Best I can tell you are just trolling for responses to do damage to the site, rather than offer up helpful advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.