• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions starting on ebay advice for newbie

pinkiss

i can see that trend in amazon like you mention chinesse are creepin in there as well,sad but true, a lot of reviews get skewed by people getting items for free to leave 5start feedback, only benefit is that you can still see who sell item and amazon is reliable in that you will always have come back, but their QC is terrible have bought designer item last year that turned out to be fake knock off, lucky they took it up and sorted, and its simillar when few graphics cards were releases looking the same scammers would buy 200$ change face plate of 500$ and send cheap one back, just to realize for someone buying used that it was swapped, they dont have great rep as company and more as slave factory but again they have the numbers to write items off in bulk without losses.

way i see it, personally im giving a go at social media, and local groups and surrounding towns costs nothing and if anything makes more convenient to build relationships and customer base, not straight forward easy but better then trying to compete on ebay with 200k feedback sellers to make a dime as you said.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
i can see that trend in amazon like you mention chinesse are creepin in there as well,sad but true, a lot of reviews get skewed by people getting items for free to leave 5start feedback, only benefit is that you can still see who sell item and amazon is reliable in that you will always have come back, but their QC is terrible have bought designer item last year that turned out to be fake knock off, lucky they took it up and sorted, and its simillar when few graphics cards were releases looking the same scammers would buy 200$ change face plate of 500$ and send cheap one back, just to realize for someone buying used that it was swapped, they dont have great rep as company and more as slave factory but again they have the numbers to write items off in bulk without losses.

way i see it, personally im giving a go at social media, and local groups and surrounding towns costs nothing and if anything makes more convenient to build relationships and customer base, not straight forward easy but better then trying to compete on ebay with 200k feedback sellers to make a dime as you said.

If all your doing is small vinyl stuff that that would be the way to go. Build the customers up locally. Go to other sign shops and tell them what you do. Most don't want to do small decals and would love to refer them to you.

Joe300i

"You can't make money selling decals on Ebay"

You're so wrong it's note even funny. I do it for a living.
You can't make $$ selling decals on eBay.

I use ebay as a referral to people calling me about making small personal decals, like in memory of or calvin pissing decals... I tell them they can buy it online from people willing to loose $$.[/QUOTE

Joe300i

and dont forget the most important part of selling on ebay, keep NO MONEY in your paypal account!
I mean, I would keep the fees in there. Also I would keep money for supplies and things like that. If you get a charge back on one of your orders and are required to pay, you have to pay it anyway to keep in good standing with Paypal, so you might as well keep some in there anyway.

EBay and PayPal can drain everything on a whim. Most people now have PayPal tied to burner bank accounts too to prevent charge backs.
I sell through paypal since 2010, there are about 2 charge backs every year and there are 2500 transactions on average, I don't find this a deal breaker.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I have a client that gets chargeback attempts weekly... They were a power seller for 15 years ranked in the top 1000 sellers, they recently closed all of their eBay listings and PayPal account and moved to Amazon merch on demand.

He had 6 burner bank accounts linked to his PayPal accounts because of dishonest buyers claiming undelivered packages and damaged goods.

I have a client that gets chargeback attempts weekly... They were a power seller for 15 years ranked in the top 1000 sellers, they recently closed all of their eBay listings and PayPal account and moved to Amazon merch on demand.

He had 6 burner bank accounts linked to his PayPal accounts because of dishonest buyers claiming undelivered packages and damaged goods.

Sometimes I hear horror stories like that, but selling on Ebay has its perks, you need to be honest and it takes patience and skill to handle customers. If you're not an assh*le with big attitude you can handle everything. It's not easy and I'm proud I can do it.

It also depends what you try to sell, like sell phones and tablets or jewelry and I guarantee every 2nd "customer" will try to rob you. I sell small decals for $3-$10 and got no problems. I also sell wallpapers but never on ebay, on ebay you shouldn't sell anything over $15 and you'll be good.