• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Starting on my own

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Thank you for advise. I will hold with printer for now. Customers in my area mostly want full color magnetic for they cars 12x18 $50 pair, 18x24 $70 pair, 18x24 coro ss $20, banner $8 sq ft., wrap $14 sq. ft. 60% of current business comes out of printer.
I found sub for printing in NJ they will print for $2.5 per sq. ft. on oracle 3651 or $4 on 3m controltack.

o_O damn ... i must be drastically over pricing because even for cut vinyl I charge more than that for magnetics, coro and banners. The amount of time you will take producing the magnetics ... just sub them out ... you'll actually make money if you don't do the work at that price.

But seriously, if you're charging that low ... either you're making it up on volume, or you don't think of your time as that valuable ... keep that in mind.

o_O damn ... i must be drastically over pricing because even for cut vinyl I charge more than that for magnetics, coro and banners. The amount of time you will take producing the magnetics ... just sub them out ... you'll actually make money if you don't do the work at that price.

But seriously, if you're charging that low ... either you're making it up on volume, or you don't think of your time as that valuable ... keep that in mind.

Those are prices from sign shops in my area.

headfirst

4. All LLC and local licenses done. Total cost $275.

Don't forget insurance. General and Professional liability.

As for a cutter? When I added vinyl to my screen printing shop I got a US Cutter Laserpoint 24" for about $400 with 10 rolls of vinyl and about 6 blades.

We're primarily a screen printing shop, so I bought it to cut names and numbers and ended up doing a small amount of signage with it.

Is it a good machine? Nope. But for the price it does exactly what I need it to do. But I wouldn't base a business off of it. Its a tool I use in my business. If it breaks I can still go back to getting names and numbers from Stahls.

Don't skimp on something that you're going to rely on to pay your bills.

If you only have $500 spend it on marketing and start out brokering.

I spent two years as a broker before I bought any equipment. I highly recommend it. If you don't have sales lined up before you buy that equipment, one of us will just buy it at a discount on craigslist when you go under.

I got liability insurance for $460/year. I have experience with us cutter and sign warehouse cutter. They OK for a hobby or small production but for every day business NOT.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.

Sucks to be you then if that's the competition starting out ... hope your design work and people skills are that much better than the rest that is all I can say. I wish you luck and hope you can survive the new guy syndrome.

SignManiac

Does not mean you have to charge what they charge. Learn to upsell better design and quality. Let the bottom feeders fight for the cheap crap. I can sell a set of mags for a couple of hundred bucks when the right kind of client comes in the door.

You can choose to work for cheap skates today and tomorrow, or choose to work for high class clients who don't see the bottom line as the most important criteria in their purchases. It's a simple choice in my opinion.

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
I have a Summa D610 that I bought new in '93 ($3600 for it and $3600 for Flexi pro "Windows 3.1" :popcorn:). Runs as good today as it did new.
I don't use it much anymore except for contour cutting for an edge but it has paid it's dues.
We have a D60 that has been abused like no equipment should. It has just kept running since '96. Other than new blades neither has had any issues. I have graphtecs and Rolands but other than these 3 I wouldn't consider anything else.

BTW, the 2 Summa's mentioned above would still be a more reliable option than any new cheap plotter.

angelinamartin

I appreciate your intention of starting on your own and my advice is according to ur budget u plan how to purchase at low rates. u may find used vinyl cutters in your budget but that is not suggestable to flourish ur business in sign making as it may doesn't give u the best results or u may not in a position to satisfy ur customers. one advice if u r interested in making partner anyone into ur business that will enhance ur business. congrats for ur idea of starting new business

Got myself a gx-24 for less than a half price. Outsourcing prints to sign365 for now. Looking for a small printer up to 48" solvent.
What do you guys use for printing on canvas and other "inside stuff"?
Got few jobs line up and few boat dealerships promise to use my service for a boat license numbers.
About 30+ days before going official.

Locals Find!

Good Plan Alex. I sincerely wish you the best of luck in your new venture. Signs365 is a good company. They will make it where your not going to have a hard time justifying that printer for a long time. Which is a good thing. More money in your pocket at the end of the day and less headaches.