• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Starting out

carneage

Hi there all
here is quite a fundamental quesion but what is the average price per square meter for vinyl cut decals, after weeding and putting on the application tape?
i am starting out in the industry i know that people may take offence that but if you dont ask you will never know
thanks
nick

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You might ask yourself what cost your material is, how much time you have invested and what your overhead is to come up with a number that will benefit you.

Also, we don't charge by the square foot on that type of item.

OldPaint

pick a number! to buy, shelve, materials to sell, design, cut, weed, tape & apply............you need to find a $ per sq ft price, that is the LEAST YOU CAN CHARGE, AND STILL MAKE A PROFIT.
in this dwindling market, i refuse to even work for less then $5 sq ft. below that iam working for nothing.

washingtonsignguy

It depends on the job to me. If some one comes in just asking for two 24" simple cut decals that they will install i charge $40.00 Which is my minumum for that kind of thing, I dont know what the sq.ft. price would be for that, but i know that is the least i wanna charge for any job no matter how small. I found in the begining taht is where i lost most of my time, was the little ones. If you talking about banners, truck decals, that kind of thing then you need to figure out your sq. ft. charge. Base that on your hourly shop rate and materials. There are lots of threads on this so search around and you will find alot of information here.

Malkin

It's worth mentioning that a "premium" membership would net you more answers than out here where the general public can see.

Jon Aston

Price is but one element of your marketing mix. It's not unimportant, but don't give it more attention than it deserves. And don't confuse yourself by thinking that your competitors are charging anywhere near the price(s) the market will bear.

There are four (arguably more) P's in your marketing mix: Price, Product, Promotion and Placement.

Your "Product" isn't signs. It's the entire value that you create for customers, which includes the buying experience you provide and the results you help them achieve. So (more to Gino's point) focus on creating more value for your customers than your competitors can - and charge accordingly. Focus on becoming the best designer you possibly can. Understand that great design solves real business problems... and produces tangible results. Create something that customers will pay anything (within reason) to get.

If you follow the advice above, it will largely shape how you promote (and position - a 5th P) your product. That said, don't neglect promotion - even if you don't have alot of money. Learn how to use the social web effectively. Be creative. Show customers how creative you can be in promoting your business (and theirs) using the things your company is capable of making for them.

Finally, on the subject of placement, but related to price: I would add that many (most) people in this business start out by under-charging (hungry for orders, lack of confidence, lack of business knowledge) and rarely grow past that. I would recommend pricing everything as though you have the overhead of a real "bricks and mortar" business, so that you can easily afford to grow into one.

Good luck!

Craig Sjoquist

Signcraft .....has a great pricing guide ..set up by the hour and other factors

Myself I use value and time.... since I really sell advertising not just a sign

Advertising has value advertising pays it does not cost ... a sign is just that a sign

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Your "Product" isn't signs. It's the entire value that you create for customers, which includes the buying experience you provide and the results you help them achieve. ...

I seem to encounter this snippet of bull often in these waters. You can drop into a frenzy of rationalization over what it is you sell but none of that will change reality. If you're in the sign business, you sell signs.

People give you money, you give them a sign. You have the money, they have the sign. Whether or not they achieve some sort of self-actualization, empowerment, or whatever trendy psycho-babble term du jure, because of your efforts means nothing. You still have the money, they still have the sign.

The object of the sign business is to deliver and collect for as many signs as possible, not to stroke the public's backside with a velvet suppository of euphemistic nonsense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Malkin

People give you money, you give them a sign. You have the money, they have the sign. Whether or not they achieve some sort of self-actualization, empowerment, or whatever trendy psycho-babble term du jure, because of your efforts means nothing. You still have the money, they still have the sign.

The object of the sign business is to deliver and collect for as many signs as possible, not to stroke the public's backside with a velvet suppository of euphemistic nonsense.

The rest of us realize that this is not a dichotomy. In point of fact, if the customer is convinced that your "product" contributes to their success, they will be back for more.

Marketing effects the sales.

FrankenSigns.biz

There is no doubt we are in the marketing and branding business. A few days ago, a gentleman came in through my door and told me he had started a plumbing business. We talked and batted some ideas back and forth, and over the next few days continued trading emails. Today, a week or so later, his business looks like a franchise. We designed his logo and from there, he bought 10 sets of business cards, 108 screen printed shirts for his laborers, 36 embroidered polos for his management staff, vehicle graphics for 2 vans and a box truck and even invoices and estimate forms. All these products are emblazoned with his logo and the brand we created for him. Presentation is very important to the potential success of any business. Knowing what business we are in is critical. We are not just making signs, we're helping people to grow their business with an array of products that delivers undeniable results.

Those of us who are just making signs are in my opinion, greatly limiting their potential.

CentralSigns

Both this forum's Premium section or SignCraft magazine have answers to pricing questions. Both are priced low for the help they will be to you. You'd be a fool not to pay subscriptions to either or both resources. They could be both payed for in the first couple of jobs, by charging the market prices. The money you will probably be leaving on the table by charging too low when you start, would pay for them both. Have you called around to see what your competition charges. Quote shop a few jobs to several of your competitors, to get feel for the market. Don't look for online pricing as there are some very low priced high volume companies.

Sticker Dude

There is no doubt we are in the marketing and branding business. A few days ago, a gentleman came in through my door and told me he had started a plumbing business. We talked and batted some ideas back and forth, and over the next few days continued trading emails. Today, a week or so later, his business looks like a franchise. We designed his logo and from there, he bought 10 sets of business cards, 108 screen printed shirts for his laborers, 36 embroidered polos for his management staff, vehicle graphics for 2 vans and a box truck and even invoices and estimate forms. All these products are emblazoned with his logo and the brand we created for him. Presentation is very important to the potential success of any business. Knowing what business we are in is critical. We are not just making signs, we're helping people to grow their business with an array of products that delivers undeniable results.

Those of us who are just making signs are in my opinion, greatly limiting their potential.

I can say Great job on your part but not to be rude What does this have to do with pricing on cut vinyl decals? the new member is probally cutting swapmeet stickers he does have a refine cutter I know on the going rate here at fleamarkets and at car and craft shows those stickers are between $5-$8 on sizes

Jon Aston

I seem to encounter this snippet of bull often in these waters. You can drop into a frenzy of rationalization over what it is you sell but none of that will change reality. If you're in the sign business, you sell signs.

Poetic as usual, Bob. But smaller thinking than I know you are capable of. And it's "du jour".:toasting:

FrankenSigns.biz

I can say Great job on your part but not to be rude What does this have to do with pricing on cut vinyl decals? the new member is probally cutting swapmeet stickers he does have a refine cutter I know on the going rate here at fleamarkets and at car and craft shows those stickers are between $5-$8 on sizes

Sorry, I was responding to Bob. Should have included his quotes.

ddarlak

Go Bills!

WOW

This might be the first time i see eye-2-eye with bobby....

this can't be good, i better up my life insurance.......

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Poetic as usual, Bob. But smaller thinking than I know you are capable of. And it's "du jour".:toasting:

Small? Doubtful, merely corollary to the inarguable proposition that quiet competence trumps motivational bull. Every time.

That being the case it follows as the night unto the day that time is better spent developing actual competence rather than sharpening abstract rhetorical tools.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fitch

"Small? Doubtful, merely corollary to the inarguable proposition that quiet competence trumps motivational bullshit. Every time.

That being the case it follows as the night unto the day that time is better spent developing actual competence rather than sharpening abstract rhetorical tools."

5 claps for Bob. Don't know what it means.... but man it sounds gooooood.