• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

starting up sign/display

schwarzmuller

I plan starting a sign and display company.
In time I would evolve to develop fair stands.
My interests go in a flatbed printer and a flatbed cutter.
However my budget does not allow both purchases, unless I make a loan, which will be no problem.
I would go for a hp FB550 44" and a kongsberg V20 with multitool.
Problem is that the quality of the hp is a bit low. A good quality and reliabilty printer will be at least 3 times more money.
What is in my budget is the purchase of a roll to roll printer (solvent) 44" with a flatbed cutter.
Then i get good quality print, but I can't print on thick substrates. I could however apply the printed sheet on the thick substrate, but I wonder if the cnc will be able to handle material which has another layer glued (paper/vinyl) on top of it.
I could cover the whole substrate or precut the paper and then stick it to the thich substrate. the thick substrate can be cut afterwards with the cnc.
I plan using reboard, wood (would not stick printed substrate on it), aluminium, acrylic
It probably does not make sense to cut printed sheets on a flatbed cutter, a roll to roll cutter is meant for this.

What are your thoughts about this?

I know there are a couple people here that use their konsberg to cut and route both thick substrates and simple vinyl cutting. It seems like you have a pretty good plan in place. The only thing that would make me want the flatbed is if there are a lot of times you would need to print direct to the substrate. Like printing on wood where you wouldn't want a clear vinyl over top.

reQ

There is always MAIN problem - Do you have some customers already or no? Whats your plan on getting business?

I am talking from my own experience but i think most people will agree with me - Getting equipment is easiest part of the business... but getting business for that equipment is not.

schwarzmuller

There is always MAIN problem - Do you have some customers already or no? Whats your plan on getting business?

I am talking from my own experience but i think most people will agree with me - Getting equipment is easiest part of the business... but getting business for that equipment is not.

I'm not referring to the business idea, but the match of equipment.

But to answer your question, no I have no customers yet. Would work with interior architects or companies that make fair stands, painters, carpenters