• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Starting with a black and white logo

Joe Diaz

Here is a logo I just did. The main part of the design was all done in black and white (which is how I begin the majority of my designs). Then when I did add color and other design elements I was careful not to add anything that would jeopardize the strong contrasting image I started with. I don't like to use busy looking fills, or photoshop filters, or any unnecessary "effect". The nice thing is that there is nothing stopping this client from using any of these variations.

Leesman Logo.jpg

genericname

Awesome, responsible design. Don't know that I would offer anything above one full-colour and the B&W for simple purposes, but good job!

CanuckSigns

Just to play devils advocate, what does a deer have to do with laying tile?

The design is great, but the deer makes me a bit confused

GypsyGraphics

unless the company already has established colors... ALL preliminary logo options are done in black and white, for a few reasons. two of which are...

• a good design should be able to stand on it's own and won't need color or affects. (which, i too, am VERY conservative in using)

• most client's can't see beyond a color they don't like. so there's a good chance a logo they might have chosen, will be overlooked becuase they didn't care for the color. and unfortunately, they often don't know that's the reason and simply dismiss it.

JoshLoring

watsons signs said:
Just to play devils advocate, what does a deer have to do with laying tile?

Does an apple have anything to do with computers? No, but apple made you associate it. Maybe the deer represents the state they are in, you don't always have to think so forward..

This is what makes good design. Joe created a brand from something that's not. :props: and good stuff!

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
I feel like all Logos should be first designed by a sign guy (who has used cut vinyl) and then can be taken from there.

This is awesome Joe, and it can be replicated in any form. I could 1,2 or 3 color screen print that logo and it would look exactly like you intended it to.

Joe Diaz

I discussed the connection of the deer with his business. For the record this isn't floor/bathroom/kitchen tiling, it's farm tiling http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tile_drainage. It's a common practice in Illinois farming.

This isn't a literal logo, if it were they would have an image of this large weird looking tractor with a giant spool of drainage pipe hanging off the back. He didn't want that image to be a part of his logo. And I see no problem with that. The client wanted his name larger than what he does and wanted the deer. I discussed with him the pros and cons of that decision. I told him his logo needs to be for his clients not necessarily for him. At the end of the day we decided to look at the deer as if it were the mascot for his business like a Ram for Dodge. He didn't seem too concerned with not having his logo spell out what he does. He wanted to show his clients who HE is. Knowing the farmers in this area and their love for hunting, I have a feeling this decision won't have a negative effect on his business.

ProWraps

I discussed the connection of the deer with his business. For the record this isn't floor/bathroom/kitchen tiling, it's farm tiling http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tile_drainage. It's a common practice in Illinois farming.

This isn't a literal logo, if it were they would have an image of this large weird looking tractor with a giant spool of drainage pipe hanging off the back. He didn't want that image to be a part of his logo. And I see no problem with that. The client wanted his name larger than what he does and wanted the deer. I discussed with him the pros and cons of that decision. I told him his logo needs to be for his clients not necessarily for him. At the end of the day we decided to look at the deer as if it were the mascot for his business like a Ram for Dodge. He didn't seem too concerned with not having a literal logo. Knowing the farmers in this area and their love for hunting, I have a feeling this decision wont have a negative effect on his business.

makes perfect sense to me. Hams doesnt sell bears, and schlitz doesnt sell bulls so yeah. i gets it.

Joe Diaz

people that is not a deer its an ELK!

:thumb::thumb: Nice Joe.

He actually requested a "buck". I'm assuming this falls under that category. I did research on "bucks" and used several reference photos to come up with this.

But knowing the way these guys are with their hunting, I'm sure I have the wrong species or the horns aren't just so. LOL. When he comes in to look at it, we will make the necessarily changes. It shouldn't be a big deal through.

Farmers are the same way with cattle. Any more I ask them to supply me with the reference photos.:thumb:

Custom_Grafx

Very nice! I do laser etching, and that's even worse than the cut vinyl world. Really, if it doesn't work in black and white, forget it - I have battled with some people who think "yeah, but doesn't the computer just make it look good?"

Even when things are black and white, some people just wanna keep seeing grey I say.

So this could easily be vinyl cut, laser etched, printed, you name it. It should be a written law that your logo has to work in black and white. You can really do anything with it.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Nice work - makes me think of these guys.

wayne k
guam usa

Attachments

• TheHartford4C.jpg
    TheHartford4C.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 88