• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Starting with a black and white logo

Joe Diaz

Yeah me too. I actually use Hartford for my retirement. Other than the subject material for the "mascot" I don't think they look too similar though.

WildWestDesigns

One thing that I like about this, and with the farmer's market one that you did, is that even with the most detailed version can still be rendered relatively accurately in embroidery. The only trouble spots in this one, without knowing dimensions, would be the "est. 1925" and the beveling of the main text. The rest of the extra with a little creative "fudging" should be able to work for a nice logo crest look.

CanuckSigns

I discussed the connection of the deer with his business. For the record this isn't floor/bathroom/kitchen tiling, it's farm tiling http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tile_drainage. It's a common practice in Illinois farming.

This isn't a literal logo, if it were they would have an image of this large weird looking tractor with a giant spool of drainage pipe hanging off the back. He didn't want that image to be a part of his logo. And I see no problem with that. The client wanted his name larger than what he does and wanted the deer. I discussed with him the pros and cons of that decision. I told him his logo needs to be for his clients not necessarily for him. At the end of the day we decided to look at the deer as if it were the mascot for his business like a Ram for Dodge. He didn't seem too concerned with not having his logo spell out what he does. He wanted to show his clients who HE is. Knowing the farmers in this area and their love for hunting, I have a feeling this decision won't have a negative effect on his business.

Thanks for clearing that up, I didn't mean any disrespect by my comment, I was just curious.

Does an apple have anything to do with computers? No, but apple made you associate it. Maybe the deer represents the state they are in, you don't always have to think so forward..

This is what makes good design. Joe created a brand from something that's not. :props: and good stuff!

Not to change the subject but I always thought the apple had everything to do with computers...from an educational standpoint. Considering Apple was the standard computer in most schools until the Pc era started around 1990, I've always seen the logo as a representation of that. Matter of fact, I've always thought of it as a superb example of minimalist design. And I always thought it had a bite out of it for a reason too, perhaps to represents bytes of digital info.

As for Joe's design, I love it. The deer does look perhaps a bit more elk like than deer like with it's masculine feel, but otherwise everything looks great and I really like the fourth version with the seal.

RobbyMac

Great work as always Joe.
Nice to show the B&W prelims for those unfamiliar. Way easier to add color than to strip it away. This could be a posterchild for 'designing logos 101'.

Gateway had cows... This guy has deer. Ain't no thing, it only makes his mark stronger. I'm glad you had a client who's open to suggestion and wasn't hellbent on putting his equipment image and 20 lines of text describing every type of tile they install into the logo design!
:rock-n-roll:

Jillbeans

Always always start in black and white, like you have shown.
Yours stands alone very strongly in just black and white.
No amount of tarting up can fix a poor logo.
Hopefully some people will "get it" by reading this informative example, Joe.
The rest will just keep on fillin' and distortin'.
Hahaha
Love....Jill