• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Startup printer recommendation: IPF680, Mutoh ValueJet 628 or other?

I have been in construction for 30+ years and have done mostly high end work for the past 10yrs. Due to a deteriorating back injury it's time to pursue a long time dream of creating carnival style games with bible story themes for my church of 16 yrs and volunteer work for my local shakespeare company (Livermore Shakespeare Festival).
Any artwork will have to be printed as I'm only skilled with drawing straight lines! :)
I'm passionate about quality and longevity of any product I produce so investing in a quality printer superceeds cost. Max at this point would be $10k.
Initial requirements include: 24"-36" wide printing capability, eco-friendly outdoor uv rated ink, cabable of printing on self-adhesive vinyl and canvass, photo quality prints for 24" x 36" posters, no nèed for individual sheet feed.
Thank you for reading and for any advice you can lend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
IPF is out... not outdoor rated at all. Also, a huge struggle to find aqueous adhesive vinyl compared to a solvent based printer.
The ValueJet is fine for entry level work.
You'll need a laminator for any decent outdoor work, so factor that into your strategy also.

IPF is out... not outdoor rated at all. Also, a huge struggle to find aqueous adhesive vinyl compared to a solvent based printer.
The ValueJet is fine for entry level work.
You'll need a laminator for any decent outdoor work, so factor that into your strategy also.
Thanks very much! Any other brand of printer you would suggest looking into for a small busines vs hobby?

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
When I bought this company we had a Roland vs300, 30" It is soo much easier to get a 54" there are dealers selling off lease items in your budget. You can always buy 30" rolls but the 5ft wide capability is needed unless you really don't want much business.

I have been in construction for 30+ years and have done mostly high end work for the past 10yrs. Due to a deteriorating back injury it's time to pursue a long time dream of creating carnival style games with bible story themes for my church of 16 yrs and volunteer work for my local shakespeare company (Livermore Shakespeare Festival).
Any artwork will have to be printed as I'm only skilled with drawing straight lines! :)
I'm passionate about quality and longevity of any product I produce so investing in a quality printer superceeds cost. Max at this point would be $10k.
Initial requirements include: 24"-36" wide printing capability, eco-friendly outdoor uv rated ink, cabable of printing on self-adhesive vinyl and canvass, photo quality prints for 24" x 36" posters, no nèed for individual sheet feed.
Thank you for reading and for any advice you can lend.

We have several Epson solvent printers that print signs/posters/canvas/etc. They are great quality and pretty easy to run, for about 10K you can get an S40 - which would be a good entry level printer that can do signs, posters, and some higher quality work. IF you wanted really high end quality, you can look at Epson's aqueous line and get some smaller printers for less with more inks to get better quality prints, but less durability, you could buy an EPSON SureColor P9000 for about $4000.00 and then look at an entry level laminator like a Royal Sovereign for about $2000.00. Also, NO MATTER WHAT PRINTER YOU BUY YOU SHOULD LAMINATE PRINTS IF YOU WANT THEM TO LAST OUT DOORS!

Remember, the printer is one cost, but the inks is and can be a large additional cost (like up to $2000.00 for a full set on some printers), plus you will have to buy a RIP and computer (unless you want to print out of photoshop/illustrator), and you will have additional costs for media, laminate, work tables, rules, knives, etc. and you will most likely have lots of waste.

My recommendation would be to find a good company in your area to partner with and let a professional continue to do what they do best and make the signs while you could oversee the design/production/delivery to your church/charities. We offer churchs 25% off and I'm sure other companies in your area would also be willing to help if it's for a good cause.

Best of luck!

We have several Epson solvent printers that print signs/posters/canvas/etc. They are great quality and pretty easy to run, for about 10K you can get an S40 - which would be a good entry level printer that can do signs, posters, and some higher quality work. IF you wanted really high end quality, you can look at Epson's aqueous line and get some smaller printers for less with more inks to get better quality prints, but less durability, you could buy an EPSON SureColor P9000 for about $4000.00 and then look at an entry level laminator like a Royal Sovereign for about $2000.00. Also, NO MATTER WHAT PRINTER YOU BUY YOU SHOULD LAMINATE PRINTS IF YOU WANT THEM TO LAST OUT DOORS!

Remember, the printer is one cost, but the inks is and can be a large additional cost (like up to $2000.00 for a full set on some printers), plus you will have to buy a RIP and computer (unless you want to print out of photoshop/illustrator), and you will have additional costs for media, laminate, work tables, rules, knives, etc. and you will most likely have lots of waste.

My recommendation would be to find a good company in your area to partner with and let a professional continue to do what they do best and make the signs while you could oversee the design/production/delivery to your church/charities. We offer churchs 25% off and I'm sure other companies in your area would also be willing to help if it's for a good cause.

Best of luck!
Thank you so much for all the great info and your time. I've always done lots of research for construction tools and am doing the same for this new endeavor.

Most likely I will end up purchasing my own equipment as a good investment for a career heading into retirement from construction work.

Thanks again!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
NO MATTER WHAT PRINTER YOU BUY YOU SHOULD LAMINATE PRINTS IF YOU WANT THEM TO LAST OUT DOORS!

With a solvent printer you will get at least 3 years without laminate. So don't go overboard on this. Laminating a yard sign or banner is just a waste of time and money at the end of the day.

When I bought this company we had a Roland vs300, 30" It is soo much easier to get a 54" there are dealers selling off lease items in your budget. You can always buy 30" rolls but the 5ft wide capability is needed unless you really don't want much business.
Thanks very much. I had considered leasing a Mutoh but will be sure to ask about previously leased models for sale.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
The ValueJet 628 is a good little machine. We have sold several units and haven't had any issues with them. As with all equipment just make sure you buy from someone with support. I can't tell you how many people we run into that bought based on price and don't know how to use the machines properly.

Best of luck!
Sorry for the delayed response...finishing up a mountain cabin remodel. I greatly appreciate the info and price considerations. Will definitely keep the Epson Surecolor as a contender. Price point, size and features seem to match my beginner needs.

Thanks again!

Jackpine

ValueJet 628 is a good machine. I use a 1204 48" with no problems. I could do 90% of my work with the 628.