Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

state laws on lettering size?

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by ESBG, Aug 4, 2010.

1. ESBG

ESBG New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    is anyone familiar with state specific rules re: lettering size? we have a prospect client who indicated their current vehicles (partial wrap with spot lettering) were pulled over by state troopers in NY for "their lettering being too large"!?

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    usually its to the discretion of the trooper...

Here in cali, my girlfriends boss called CHP to see if it was legal to drive while drinking no-alcoholic beer, and got both answers (yes and no) from the same precinct (receptionist, manager, chief, etc...) they pretty much said that it is up to the trooper

3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Never heard of that one, but I guess FedEx, Sears and some of the other big guys better rethink their artwork.

4. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    call the NY state police and ask them where to find the info since they were the ones who pulled this guy over, they should know where to find the law so you can see what it says. seems like if there is a law with requirements, it wouldn't be hard to find as people would need the info to comply.

5. signcrafters london

signcrafters london Very Active Member

May 22, 2010
    London KY
    If I were an officer I would arrest anyone drinking a non-alcoholic beer. For being insane, not DUI.

6. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    I've only heard of tickets being written for too small, as in DOT numbers on commercial rigs.

7. Si Allen

Si Allen Very Active Member

Jul 17, 2004
    Sounds like a case of "revenue enhancement"!

8. Graphics2u

Graphics2u Very Active Member

Jan 31, 2007
    Iowa
    Good point! If FedEx is allowed just about anything should be.