Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

State Licensing - Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by YJ Inc Sign Engineer, Oct 18, 2013.

1. YJ Inc Sign Engineer

YJ Inc Sign Engineer New Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Why is it so difficult to get licensed in PA?
    Has anyone else had this problem or know of anything that might help speed up the process?
    We are a sign engineering firm and the last state we need licensing in is PA. We're excluding AK.
    Any help or advice would be nice.
    See attached

Attached Files:

2. Jillbeans

Jillbeans Major Contributor

Dec 24, 2003
    Butler, PA
    ...as far as I know, there IS no state licensing in PA.
    Anyone can make and install signs here.
    That's why there are so many hacks.
    (not talking about electric signs)
    :Big Laugh
    My business is registered with the state and I do have liability insurance, though.
    Love....Jill

3. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
    Hi Jill,

I think they are trying to get a license for engineering... YJ Specializes in
    engineering signs, quite a few of my clients use YJ.

http://www.dos.state.pa.us/portal/s...ngineers,_land_surveyors_and_geologists/12510

-------

You are required to have an electrical sign contractors license for electrical signs.
    I believe in PA, Cities, not the state have jurisdiction over that. When a sign is
    a certain height or is within the bounds or pulling a permit, the city may require
    engineering.

4. John L

John L Very Active Member

Apr 28, 2007
    Hey we might be cuzin lovin dutchies but at least we do require engineer licensing! good news I think they do reciprocate with many states but sorry, no exam proxy.. you'll have to exam here.