• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Static Cling or Removable Adhesive for clear window signs?

Goatshaver

Shaving goats and eating bushes
So I've started getting other jobs to quote and have a job of 3000 - 6" x 6" window clings signs for banks to put up for some temporary signage. (Think it's for a holiday)
I've never printed on static cling and just did my first job with clear and white on my UCJV330 which worked fine. No issues with that.

I'm assuming these may stay up for about 1-2 months approx. Will be placed on the inside of window or door glass so they will be reverse printed with white. I need to print 270 each of 11 versions. (total 2790 window clings)

Just wondering if a static cling or a removable low-tac clear made for windows would be best?

Any kind of troubles I should be weary of when printing to static cling on a UV printer?

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
Will it be up during the winter months? We've been experiencing that static cling does NOT like cold weather, and they tend to fall off the glass when it's cold. For projects like this, we will use clear Glass Apeel.
Removable clear vinyl isn't truly clear as you can see the air egress so it ends up pretty foggy looking.
Glass Apeel on the other hand is truly optically clear especially when wet applied. It's removable, and repositionable.

Goatshaver

I'll have to ask them about that, my best guess it's either fall or winter since those are the next seasons to come up.
I'm in Maine so I'd definitely have to take into account the colder weather for clings.

Should also mention these will be applied by the customer and not myself.

Boudica

Should also mention these will be applied by the customer and not myself.
another plus for Glass Apeel. It's very easy to install - it's more rigid than cling and even vinyl, and they can apply it over and over again until they get it right.

Goatshaver

another plus for Glass Apeel. It's very easy to install - it's more rigid than cling and even vinyl, and they can apply it over and over again until they get it right.
Ordered up some a sample roll to try. :)

Anyone ever used any Lintech material?
That was another brand recommended to me by a guy from Mimaki.

Boudica

Boudica recommended that (GLASS APEEL) to me,
a couple years ago, for one of our projects
Have you ever tried it? It's pretty neat stuff. The white can work well in place of a vehicle magnet when the magnets won't stick
ETA... Or if you want first surface on the white, or if you're doing 2-sided and don't have white ink capabilities, because it's totally opaque... As I recall that was what you were looking to do when I suggested it.
We can do 5 layers with white ink now, so I can rock out 2-sided window graphics on the clear easily.

Last edited:

netsol

Which is VERY IMPORTANT since few of our customers keep their glass clean like it is an operating room.

i delivered some decals, last weekend, that a very experienced client was going to install himself on trucks delivering to an airport. he said “i’ve got this”

next to the decals, i left a cardboard box with windex, isopropyl in a spray bottle, paper towrls, microfiber cloth
wetcerase marker and squeege. “What the hell is all this for”

i installed one, with him. All week, he is telling everyone how much he learned on sunday…

Carol Sundberg

Where do I get Glass Apeel? I'm in North Dakota. Does it work in cold weather? (FYI...It's been in the upper 90s here this week so we aren't always cold. )
Can it be used on vehicles? We often get requests for temporary signs on semi tractors & magnets aren't an option.) Is it reusable?

Goatshaver

Where do I get Glass Apeel? I'm in North Dakota. Does it work in cold weather? (FYI...It's been in the upper 90s here this week so we aren't always cold. )
Can it be used on vehicles? We often get requests for temporary signs on semi tractors & magnets aren't an option.) Is it reusable?
https://www.glassapeel.net/
You order direct from them it seems. I ordered a sample roll yesterday and they sent me a price sheet when I emailed them for info about it.

Boudica

Yes to all of the above. The owner (my boss) does the the ordering... I think he might get it through Grimco, but I'm not sure.

netsol

grimco certainly has it.
they are everywhere

Rmurray321

We get it from grimco, and it works well as temporary signage too on very flat surfaces (not good for painted drywall)

We use it on fords aluminum body vehicles when someone wants a magnetic application

Goatshaver

We get it from grimco, and it works well as temporary signage too on very flat surfaces (not good for painted drywall)

We use it on fords aluminum body vehicles when someone wants a magnetic application
I just looked this up on Grimco and it's a lot more expensive than the price list I was given from them.