• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Static Cling or Removable Adhesive for clear window signs?

Boudica

I'm here for Educational Purposes
Yah, it's designed for glass, but it can work on vehicles as long as they are really smooth like glass.
It's not an adhesive. It sticks with microscopic little suction cups.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I just looked this up on Grimco and it's a lot more expensive than the price list I was given from them.
You're saying order directly from Glass Apeel? I just ordered a sample roll also. $454 for 54"x100' on Fellers. I'm not sure I would sell enough of it to buy a roll, might be something I would just order from others.

netsol

I AM TOLD, when grimco is higher, you can call, have a salesman appointed to your account
then you can have a call with him and have the price adjusted
whn i spoke to grimco, i asked, "is the pricing set, then, going forward?"
the answer is no, you have to do it every time

i have not ordered from grimco since then, but, for a specialty material, that truly is better, you would probably be well advised to go through the process
do your homework & be prepared to tell them who offers a lower price, AND WHAT IT IS

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
So I've started getting other jobs to quote and have a job of 3000 - 6" x 6" window clings signs for banks to put up for some temporary signage. (Think it's for a holiday)
I've never printed on static cling and just did my first job with clear and white on my UCJV330 which worked fine. No issues with that.

I'm assuming these may stay up for about 1-2 months approx. Will be placed on the inside of window or door glass so they will be reverse printed with white. I need to print 270 each of 11 versions. (total 2790 window clings)

Just wondering if a static cling or a removable low-tac clear made for windows would be best?

Any kind of troubles I should be weary of when printing to static cling on a UV printer?
Try Spot On Clear....a drunk monkey can put it up without bubbles or wrinkles and it will remove cleanly after a few months. We sell this product to national retailers like cell phone companies, Tim Horton's, McDonalds etc.

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
You're saying order directly from Glass Apeel? I just ordered a sample roll also. $454 for 54"x100' on Fellers. I'm not sure I would sell enough of it to buy a roll, might be something I would just order from others.
Stacy - Next time you need some, try Spot ON. Much less expensive. I'm on vacation but it is well under $400/roll for a 54"x164'. You'll put a ton of money back in your pocket.

MrDav3C

One thing to be aware of with static cling is that you should leave some unprinted white space around the edge of the decal as ink significantly reduces how well the cling adheres to glass etc.

One thing to be aware of with static cling is that you should leave some unprinted white space around the edge of the decal as ink significantly reduces how well the cling adheres to glass etc.
Which side of the cling film is being inked? For best adhesion to glass and non-ferrous metals, ink should be printed on the opposite side of contact to the substrate.

Goatshaver

Shaving goats and eating bushes
Which side of the cling film is being inked? For best adhesion to glass and non-ferrous metals, ink should be printed on the opposite side of contact to the substrate.
These are going to be reverse printed for placing on the inside of a window to face outside.

Optimal solution: this is a second-surface application. Print on clear static cling in a mirror (flipped) orientation using a 2-layer overflood print mode, with white ink behind the color. Ink never contacts the glass.

Boudica

Who prints on the clingy side that adheres to the glass? Does it really need to be said NOT to? The first clue is the liner that should remain on the static cling material until you install it.

Boudica

see post 26...
I didn't take that to mean MrDave is printing on the clingy side, I thought he meant to leave a border around the artwork on the printable side. .....which I don't do, I've never noticed that it made any difference.
Well, thanks for the PSA for those who try to print on the clingy side :doh:

I didn't take that to mean MrDave is printing on the clingy side, I thought he meant to leave a border around the artwork on the printable side. .....which I don't do, I've never noticed that it made any difference.
Well, thanks for the PSA for those who try to print on the clingy side :doh:
That is because it doesn't make any difference...unless the user buys white cling, prints in reverse, and attempts to mount the media to the second surface with the ink side adhering to the glass.

This is what I believe that MrDave is doing - and is encountering a problem with ink interfering with the media adhesion, with the ink probably transferring to the glass.

Last edited:

Boudica

Well, that's just....
1723488164387.png

MrDav3C

Yes I was referring to mounting the ink side of white cling to the glass, have just checked the technical data sheet for some white cling that we may have used in the past & that also says to leave an unprinted edge to the graphic.

Thought this may be useful info for anyone who doesn't use white ink.

Goatshaver

Pardon my lack of experience with some prints here. So I have a sample of what I'll be doing because they wanted a similar material. Material is a 3M controltac not sure what spec, but it's obviously removable adhesive with a white back.

So my question is how was this done? I'm guessing clear 3M with the blue printed and then a white vinyl laminated over the top of it.

I'd rather not have to back it with white and would rather print the white save me time from masking out crop marks and cutting them out so I can cut the final piece on my plotter and just run them straight to the plotter after printing.
Also this feels pretty substantial, like around 6-7mils. Are there any good removable adhesive vinyls that would work well on glass that are that around around 6mils?

Attachments

• 20240813_084247.jpg
    20240813_084247.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33

Boudica

If you have white ink capabilities you should go that route. Just guessing... Whoever produced their sample probably didn't have that capability, so they had to use more material to back it.

Goatshaver

If you have white ink capabilities you should go that route. Just guessing... Whoever produced their sample probably didn't have that capability, so they had to use more material to back it.
Yes, I do have white. Only reason I had quoted that job for them so I can put some use to my UCJV330.
Just need to find a material similar to this 3M.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I AM TOLD, when grimco is higher, you can call, have a salesman appointed to your account
then you can have a call with him and have the price adjusted
whn i spoke to grimco, i asked, "is the pricing set, then, going forward?"
the answer is no, you have to do it every time

i have not ordered from grimco since then, but, for a specialty material, that truly is better, you would probably be well advised to go through the process
do your homework & be prepared to tell them who offers a lower price, AND WHAT IT IS
I did the same thing with GSG and Fellers.