• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Static electricity on media

Signarama Jockey

We just got a shipment of coro in, and we have been having problems with deflections when printing on the Flatbed UV. Feels like it has quite a bit of static charge. I found a single hair that was stuck to it and just moving it over the surface, you can watch the hair cling to some areas and repel from others.

The deflections are irregular. It is not the file, it is not the print heads. The deflections vary from sheet to sheet.

Does anyone have a strategy they use to eliminate static electricity?

We've been spraying the surface down with water and wiping it off.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wait til late spring to do all your printing on that flatbed and don't drag your feet on the carpeting.

ikarasu

We just got a shipment of coro in, and we have been having problems with deflections when printing on the Flatbed UV. Feels like it has quite a bit of static charge. I found a single hair that was stuck to it and just moving it over the surface, you can watch the hair cling to some areas and repel from others.

The deflections are irregular. It is not the file, it is not the print heads. The deflections vary from sheet to sheet.

Does anyone have a strategy they use to eliminate static electricity?

We've been spraying the surface down with water and wiping it off.
https://staticclean.com/product/4103-high-speed-static-bar/ we use something like this... It eliminated all our static issues. (we got 2, in the size of the carriage head, 1 for each side / direction) - one of them is failing so our statics coming back.... But when they were new they were great

ofiexpertos

https://staticclean.com/product/4103-high-speed-static-bar/ we use something like this... It eliminated all our static issues. (we got 2, in the size of the carriage head, 1 for each side / direction) - one of them is failing so our statics coming back.... But when they were new they were great
Hi, Ozone is the easy way. In some folding machines is used a golden tinsel that discharges static electricity while us connected to earth ground and pases touching the material surface. Ensure the ground earth of your machine and business electrical earth curcuit are in excellent conditions. Prevent use of carpets and non conductive floor, it doesn't help to esd discharges.
Hope it could help you.
OFIEXPERTOS SPAIN

Signarama Jockey

Oh wow, thanks, folks. These are some great options.

We spray it down with alcohol and wipe it off, and it helps.

You can use a humidifier, or if you print a lot... Buy a deonizer bar if your flatbed doesn't have one
We had to resort to wiping it down with water. But the idea of wiping down the front and back of every single 4x8 sheet we go through makes me want to self harm.

I saw this picture and I realized that THIS is what my flatbed printer has on either side of the print heads. I was told that those were there to wipe away dust by using a static charge. I guess in a way that's kinda true, but I had no idea what these things really did until now.

We ended up cleaning these, and things have been better.

Hi, Ozone is the easy way. In some folding machines is used a golden tinsel that discharges static electricity while us connected to earth ground and pases touching the material surface. Ensure the ground earth of your machine and business electrical earth curcuit are in excellent conditions. Prevent use of carpets and non conductive floor, it doesn't help to esd discharges.
Hope it could help you.
OFIEXPERTOS SPAIN
I see amazon sells a copper tinsel ribbon to help ground out static electricity. That's something to look into!

BigNate

Offset presses have used copper tinsel... comes in many shapes and sizes.... google "Anti-static copper tinsel offset printing" and you will get a lot of options that work great.