• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Static elimination techniques

10sacer

I know I have seen threads on this - but they don't come up in search function for the site.

What is everyone doing to minimize or eliminate static charge on styrene or similar materials?

Is ionizing bar or wand best way to go? Has anyone had success with the Staticure wand from the Stop Static guys at the shows?

i know the Oce printers have a static suppression bar as an option and am wondering how well that works, too.

Thanks

W

www.esigns.com

Just had the opportunity recently with another sign professional to have conversations with a professional with extensive experience designing / constructing /maintaining large scale data center environments regarding controlling work environments and the obvious benefits of doing so. There are many levels of controlling your environment and some will simply be too cost prohibitive under most instances, but he was a wealth of info. We spoke in depth about Static Electricity. His short answer in regards to miniimizing static electricity was to

-Control the humidity in your environment; Maintaining Relative Humidity around 60-70%

I have never seen a sign company maintain their environment on the levels that his industry demands nor would it be realistic to go that extreme in my opinion but it was obvious that any improvements would only improve a variety of common challenges. So if budget was no concern a totally controlled environment and ionized air would be at the foundation.

I have had to fight static many times in my sign career, especially when operating high volume UV screen printing equipment printing coro, acrylic, styrene, etc. we used a variety of techniques:

-ANTI STATIC MATS (in my opinion these kept operators from being subjected to sometimes painful static discharges but personally I didn't see any great reductions as a result of their use).

-on a fully automatic machine, we installed multiple in process options with various levels of success including a SHEET SEPERATOR and STATIC ELIMINATION BARS at feeding and stacking stages. It was a worthwhile investment but there were times of year that required additional efforts.

-for acrylic we used an IONIZED AIRGUN after the protective film was removed obviously not necessary for a low volume operation but at high volumes it was a time saver and minimized the static problems associated with acrylic.

-many people opt to use DRIER SHEETS as a low cost way to wipe down individual substrates and I have had success with this method but I have also had problems with contamination as a result of using them so it depends on your processes and levels of perfection required.

-on a dedicated machine for acrylic we also installed ANTI STATIC BARS (from Fraser) and IONIZED AIR.

-for individual sheets of substrate instead of DRIER SHEETS i have had success wiping with a damp rag.

-I have used various ANTI STATIC SPRAYS and have had wildly unpredictable results. Some work great some not at all but above all make sure to test your finishes (paint, print, etc) to make sure that they are compatible, some leave residues (slightly oily) some I have been unable to detect any residue but still had adhesion issues after use.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Speaking of....

I actually just ordered a roll of copper static tinsel on eBay just today! Item number is 270743915677 - freaking 72 feet of it for under $35 shipped. I plan to string it across the back of the printer infeed area where it will lightly drag across any vinyl feeding in as well as a couple of peices on the laminator. Then just tie another end to a ground. Hoping it works well....

Colin

Ever since putting polypropylene floor tiles down in my shop I get a finger-zap every time I touch the printer or stereo. Would love to know of any fix.

10sacer

Static + Humidity

I have two humidifiers going through 8 gallons of water a day and its a struggle to get humidity near 45% on a consistent basis. Was contemplating one of the ionizing air nozzles, but have no experience with them and they are pricey.

Humidity is the only way.
Rubber mats around work area help also.

10sacer

Mike,

I have been by their booth at several shows and had my "medicine man - snake oil" doubts about that product, but if you say it works I will look further in to it. They also have a new wide format wand that I might try. My other question is - if it works - how long does it dissipate static until it regenerates again? Wouldn't the head going over the surface (especially acrylic/polycarb or styrene) make it reappear?

the static string works amazingly well....

http://stopstatic.com/stringproducts.html

genericname

I'd like to add that static transfer bootstraps are also needed to get the full benefit of the grounded rubber mats. I've set mats up in front of all of our printers' controls, and at my work station, and I can feel the difference between a day when I wear the bootstraps, and a day when I don't.