• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Static

MainGraphics

So what is the best way to get rid of static when printing? I am having issues printing on an 11mil lay flat vinyl we use for pop up displays.... It looks like the ink tracks off one side of the print in solid areas and into white space within the print....at least I hope its static! I was told to pre feed the roll out a bit before it goes into the machine but that does nothing. And I only seem to have this issue when I'm printing heavy coverage. Any Help? Thanks. XC540

Mrose

If it's not static then check your head height. If its to high you can get over spray. If it is static you can use an anti static spray that comes in a can for your clothes.

MainGraphics

Thanks for the feedback. I only seem to have this issue with the media I described but we use it very often. I guess the next question is what is the least expensive solution to the static problem? I see rolls of static string online for $70.....is that cheap? Do I need a whole roll? Does it eventually wear out? I've heard of garland strung across the machine or dryer sheets....never tried any of it. Just hoping to hear some of the methods used to defeat this issue.. Thanks!

Mrose

I've used the string on my flatbeds. They dont work as good as they say!!! Is this roll application? or sheets?

MainGraphics

All are off a ROLL we use an 11mil lay flat vinyl most of the time. We also tried the sihl 3608 which was, I think, a 15 mil but it was so bad we couldn't use it. All the colors blended together after running for a bit. Tons of Overspray, banding, ugly. The nozzle test patterns were nasty afterwards too. Kind of scary.

Mrose

So your in So CAl? Is it hot down there? Is your printer in a room where you can control the temp? Also, Where you you have the heat setting set to on your printer?

MainGraphics

Ya. Nice weather for the most part here. Our printer is in its own room where we control the temp. Usually its between 70-75 in here. Heat settings are pre-35 print-35 dryer-40.

Mrose

When your loading the roll, Do you feel the hairs on your arm standing up? Dose the roll have that much static to do that? and Also can to post a pic of what your bad print looks like?