• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stay or Leave?......Very Undecided.

Pat Whatley

I say you go sit down and talk to your current boss. Seriously. Tell him what you're thinking and what you've been offered. Discuss the current work conditions and lack of work coming in. Discuss your concerns. Listen to what he's got to say and then make your decision.

If he wants to keep you he'll convince you to stay. If it would help him out to have one less employee he'll let you go. If he's an asshole he'll throw you out of his office. If you're open with him up front and discuss it with him it will go a long way to keeping the doors open if you want to go back later.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I agree with Pat, but only after you're sure you have the other job to fall back on if your current employer gives you the boot right away.

I think you need to find out why someone is willing to hire you if they admitted to you they are slow. Is someone going to be fired to make room for you or are they going to find a way to come up with an extra $750 to $800 a week for someone that needs to be trained on just about everything ?? That just doesn't sound like a good decision on their part, just because you have some experience.......

Be sure they are truly serious about hiring you.

Liquid GraphX

I think in order to actually give someone advice about his/her future like this one would actually have to see both sides of the coin. I understand your desire to goto the new employer as it is exciting to have that change in your life. The problem is most times I have found that the grass is always greener on the other side. With a union it seems that no matter where you go you are only allowed to do so much until you get to the next level so it may out of the employers hands.

Pat that is good advice, but sometimes when you sit down with your boss to have the "heart to heart" they aren't that supportive about discussing another job. That would put them on the offensive right away. It would depend on the person and if you have been working there that long you should know how they will react.....but be careful.

Blazingsun

Good advise Pat and Gino...

I would seriuosly be thinking about movin on my self if my current employer was bouncing my pay checks..

mark in tx

Your boss is taking vacations, buying a boat, not paying suppliers, and your paycheck bounced?

Outta there in a New York minute.
You are lucky enough to have something lined up to go to.

jimmysigns

your boss is buying a boat and taking vacations while employees checks bounce?
I'ld sell the boat to make sure my employees were paid first. If there's little work and your checks are bouncing and your boss isn't concerned I'ld be looking for another job.

mypastlife

The problem with this job is that our checks are boucning and my boss is failing to pay our suppliers for materials, which hurts us for work in the long run.

I was in a very similar position recently and it is never a good sign when your checks start bouncing and vendors aren't getting paid. I made a decision to to take a step in another direction, and I feel it was the right choice. If this is the situation, then who knows what else you may run into in the future. I would say that if it will better your experience and (eventhough it will be a pay cut) you can survive with that pay, go for it. Since you have almost capped your wages in your current position, I would look for a place you can work that will allow you to grow financially and gain expertise.

chasman

Go to the new company,negotiate your current rate of pay and bennies and ask them to hire you.They already said that qualified,experienced people are hard to come by. They'll go for it. I'd bet on it..Sell yourself to them and ask for the job.. Good luck

CES020

One of my first jobs as an apprentice was in a family run shop (not sign related). The owner that ran the day to day operations used to walk around and hold his stomach every day and just moan out loud. When you'd ask what's wrong, he'd tell you how his ulcer was killing him because he was so worried about the money and how to pay the bills. It was a daily complaint.

He bought a $400,000 house, where the average home at the time, was about $200,00, pulled up to work one day in a 30 foot boat, being towed behind a brand new truck big enough to pull it.

I determined at that point in my life, I'd never believe another owner that told me they were going broke until I saw their behavior match it.

jzorn

In Wisconsin, we can go online to the circuit court filings and see if a business has any tax liens against them. If he is late paying vendors and bouncing paychecks, he may also be late on taxes. That is a sure sign that he is in trouble.

astro8

One of my first jobs as an apprentice was in a family run shop (not sign related). The owner that ran the day to day operations used to walk around and hold his stomach every day and just moan out loud. When you'd ask what's wrong, he'd tell you how his ulcer was killing him because he was so worried about the money and how to pay the bills. It was a daily complaint.

He bought a $400,000 house, where the average home at the time, was about $200,00, pulled up to work one day in a 30 foot boat, being towed behind a brand new truck big enough to pull it.

I determined at that point in my life, I'd never believe another owner that told me they were going broke until I saw their behavior match it.

It must of been hard not to have punched him in the guts then and there and given him something to really moan about...