• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stay with Illy CS2 or move up to CS3?

GK

Well, CS2 will not open a CS3 file unless it was saved with a legacy format setting. Live Trace has been upgraded pretty significantly if you find that tool useful.

Shovelhead

Pros: Intel-native; excellent new color features; helpful interface tweaks; useful improvements to the Control panel.

Cons: Basic color picker still a bit of a hassle; no changes to some older features, such as the 3-D tools; can’t create multiple-page documents

harrisgraphix

The live trace in cs2 is good, So if its better then "GREAT" I do about all my layouts in cs2 now and then send to flexi pro for the rest. The color picker is and has been a hassle for sometime now, Im teaching my wife how to use Illustrator and she grumbles everytime she uses it...
Thanks Guys

GK

Pros: Intel-native; excellent new color features; helpful interface tweaks; useful improvements to the Control panel.

Cons: Basic color picker still a bit of a hassle; no changes to some older features, such as the 3-D tools; can’t create multiple-page documents

*On a note to the multi-page doc comment, that was actually implemented in CS2. http://www.lifeclever.com/how-to-create-multi-page-pdfs-in-illustrator-cs2/

There is a good tutorial on it. Granted, it will be in .pdf but it will be an editable .pdf in Illustrator and Acrobat Pro. I use this frequently.

jeph4e

Live color & Color Guide is worth the price of admission. Better stability too. Trace is a lot better.

GK

Another thing i forgot to mention earlier, the importing for layered .psd files has also been significantly improved. I find myself doing the vector work in Illustrator, importing it into Photoshop as a smart object and doing all the crazy layers/filters etc on separate layers, save it as a .psd and import it into Illustrator as a layered document. Now you have your final design, with your cut paths already perfectly made and ready to print/cut and get paid.

Lunatic Taskbar

I prefer CS3 and the live trace is much better. Although I do occasionally drop to Xara to do the bitmap tracer in there, its occasionally better for me!!!

harrisgraphix

Okay.... I went out and got CS3 today! It loads about 5 x as fast, I cant wait to explore it further...! So far the 20 minutes I have played with it, It has been awesome!

Letterbox Mike

Another thing i forgot to mention earlier, the importing for layered .psd files has also been significantly improved. I find myself doing the vector work in Illustrator, importing it into Photoshop as a smart object and doing all the crazy layers/filters etc on separate layers, save it as a .psd and import it into Illustrator as a layered document. Now you have your final design, with your cut paths already perfectly made and ready to print/cut and get paid.

I didn't realize I was getting that feature when we upgraded to CS3 but that alone is worth upgrading for, it makes life tremendously easier if you're doing that kind of work.

synergy_jim

cs3 is way bettrer

no comparison between the 2 versions....

new flyout menus... live color.... the list goes on and on....

JD