• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Steam removal compared to Flame removal

kirkbedtelyon

We install / remove bus advertising (using 3M180C) and I've consistently used a weed burner to heat/remove the vinyl but I'm always a little nervous about using an open flame for safety reasons.

The beauty with the flame - You can heat a 4' x 4' area quickly and pull off the vinyl fast.

I'm thinking about switching to steam but I'm wondering how much more time it will take to remove vinyl using steam instead of the flame.

Have any of you used both? Your comments would be appreciated! Kirk

Steve G.

I use a wagner steamer most of the time. During a typical removal, i let the 8 x 11 pad set on the vinyl for 10 seconds. The vinyl is then ready for removal. If you can remove the vinyl with one hand, you can heat as you pull.

I'd figure on heating that size area for that long...

I don't think it's the fastest method, but it is the least frustrating for me.

gabagoo

I will use steam as well at times. I have the Wagner as well, but accidently the pad broke off and I then inserted the end piece of a pen into the hose which created pressure and resulted in a cool steam stream you might say that I can direct right where I want. The only issue I find with using steam is that it can at times really seperate the glue from the vinyl so you could get large amounts of adhesive to deal with afterwards.

What I do like about steam is that unlike a heat gun which can burn your fingers, the steam is wet and the effect is not as nearly as painful lol