• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Steamer for removal?

HulkSmash

Has anyone ever used a wallpaper steamer to use to remove vinyl.
i have 7 box trucks to remove all the 9 year old AIDs vinyl, and redo a full wrap on them... and at this point it's going to take us longer to remove then to apply.

Border

I would seriously consider renting a HOT pressure washer for that many. They are about 150 bucks per day. 100 for half day (here at least)

gabagoo

I have the Wagner, and I once lent it to a race team and they broke the head off of it accidentally. Works even better now as i can direct the steam in a finer fashion.
They work well but still takes time. I will add that they tend to leave a lot more adhesive behind.

The high pressure washer might be worth looking into although they can take paint off too so be careful

Border

Just be careful not to get too close to it, especially once the surface is hot. That's when the paint will soften. Keep a wide fan pattern too, no pinpoint!

Steve G.

It's exactly what we have and we use it for any vinyl removal that will take more than a few minutes.
It is by far the most consistant and least frustrating way to heat vinyl for removal. Our shop will never be without it as a tool.
Second favorite , of course is a torch, but is not as efficient as the steamer. we haven't used a heat gun in years.. too slow.

After the steamer is steaming (takes 20 minutes to get going with cold water) you simply hold the pad over the vinyl, count to ten and you know it is 200 degrees.

HulkSmash

It's exactly what we have and we use it for any vinyl removal that will take more than a few minutes.
It is by far the most consistant and least frustrating way to heat vinyl for removal. Our shop will never be without it as a tool.
Second favorite , of course is a torch, but is not as efficient as the steamer. we haven't used a heat gun in years.. too slow.

After the steamer is steaming (takes 20 minutes to get going with cold water) you simply hold the pad over the vinyl, count to ten and you know it is 200 degrees.

Thanks everyone. Looks like imma buy a couple of these.

have a good weekend!

Alti-Plotter

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Most of the time, I use simultaneously 2 Wagner steamer to remove vinyl from vehicles.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]On horizontal parts like hood and roof, you can let the steam-plates heat up the vinyl while you tear off the vinyl you've already heated up. On vertical parts, I either hold both steam-plates in place to heat a greater surface or I use only one plate while tearing off the vinyl with the other hand.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]At the beginning of a job with big surfaces, I check the temperature with the mini-temp to find out at what temperature I have the best results regarding ease of vinyl removal and remaining adhesive. Once the temperature is known, I wait until this temperature is reached before removing the vinyl.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Adhesive residues: sometimes none, sometimes… I think this depends a lot on the vinyl brand, quality and age.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I don't have a hot pressure washer in-house so I don't try it this way often, but until now, I didn't get good results with this method. Would be interesting to know how it worked for you and what method is used by others.[/FONT]

Malkin

Coloradosigns said:
trying out a hot pressure washer on monday, thanks

I am very interested to know how this works for you.

We just spent 13 hours removing vinyl from an oil tanker and have another to do early next week.

A tank full of cold oil is a PITA to heat and remove vinyl.

Welder.man

We bought a similar one to this a while ago and it works great, we can remove a lot of vinyl in a short time and with little mess, We can peel most of the vinyl off with little adhesive left behind.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I am very interested to know how this works for you.

We just spent 13 hours removing vinyl from an oil tanker and have another to do early next week.

A tank full of cold oil is a PITA to heat and remove vinyl.

What is under the vinyl on the tanks?

We are in the middle of stripping a fleet.
Lucky for us half are unpainted aluminum tubes.
We ran out of Vinyl Off and found some citrus based paint stripper at the local Home Depot:
http://www.citristrip.com/
Seems to be working really good so far.
You leave it on for a bit and even the most brittle vinyl becomes soft again. There is a sweet spot with saturation and timing so that the vinyl is soft enough to pull in large sections but not turned into goo that has to be scrubbed off. Glue stays on the vinyl.
The stripper is a thick jell so it stays put on vertical surfaces.
Might work for you depending on what you are working with.

wayne k
guam usa

jasonx

We use the wall paper steamer also and screwed in four magnets one into each corner to let it hold itself onto the vehicle. It lets you warm up and area while your pulling off vinyl and keep going. Works rather well.

Gene@mpls

We use the wall paper steamer also and screwed in four magnets one into each corner to let it hold itself onto the vehicle. It lets you warm up and area while your pulling off vinyl and keep going. Works rather well.

This will work on alum truck or trailer bodies with steel rivets or steel screws also- I ran a flexible steel strap thru the handle with a strong magnet on each end- works a treat. Gene

Malkin

Thanks Wayne,

The vinyl we are peeling is some over a painted stripe and some on the bare aluminum. The vinyl-off product helped on the vinyl over alum, but was completely useless on the vinyl over the paint. As we are completely covering that area with the new design, any damage to the paint is not a concern.

I will look for the product you mentioned here locally as well.

HulkSmash

How'd it go Adam?

This thing.... works wonders. Took us 2 hrs to remove a 17ft by 8 inch stripe by hand with a torch. We did a whole truck in 2 hrs after that. The best 50 bucks ive ever spent in my entire life. Got 2 of them... i can't exaggerated how helpful the wall paper steamer has been. It's just like... every shop should have like 5 of these things... so...amazing....

here's a pic of them removing it with it. There's 2 fixtures you can use. Right now they';re using the smaller one because it heats a bit faster, but there's a bigger fixture that is about 18x10 inches that works well too.

so yes, it works. thanks everyone for the suggestions. Oh, and it didn't leave any adhesive behind..

Attachments

• 298214_539591843231_177001110_30917704_2035333262_n (1).jpg
    298214_539591843231_177001110_30917704_2035333262_n (1).jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 520
  • 296912_539602496881_177001110_30917753_1792726243_n.jpg
    296912_539602496881_177001110_30917753_1792726243_n.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 546