• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stencil lettering

CentralSigns

What's a good font to use to make stencils out of. I need to make numbers 0-9, and D B W A T X. For a cut stencil out of polystyrene. Any Ideas would be appreciated as we have never cut them before. As well a guess to the range of pressures on the plotter for .030 polystyrene would also be helpfull. Thanks

Mosh

Not good on a plotter! IMO poly is to heavy for plotters. I know you only need to score it but...
BTW the font I use when I do this is called "stencil"

Brandon708

I dont see how a plotter (Graphtec) can cut out a stencil. Maybe just score it but I don't know if it could cut all the way through. We just cut out a vinyl letter then cut it out with a box cutter.

CentralSigns

Thats why the plotter has the high force settings Fed. just not sure how high to start with on the .o3o material to get enough of a cut in the material. i wouldn't use a printer cutter but a cut only machine. Thanks for the replies.

BrendanVail

i make stencils with my plotter by taking scrap vinyl, flipping it over and cutting into the backing paper, just an idea

AUTO-FX

I have done poly stencils quite a few times with my plotter. i use my old roland cm24 for this, and i always save the worn 60deg blades to do it. I do 2 passes, and this scores it nicely, then a little flex and snap it out. no problems.

W

wetgravy

I've cut polystyrene before with my plotter, i just use a dull blade max out the pressure, set the cut speed to a crawl to reduce drifting and score out what i need a stencil for. I don't ever try to cut all the way through, but it is accurate and with the other option being engraving out the stencil or cnc'ing it out ... I can live with having to finish hand cutting.

oh, and Make sure you put a couple thin strips of vinyl on the top and bottom of the poly so the rollers will hold it better.

gabagoo

I only do stencils out of magnetic material for waste bins using my Gerber Envision. Fast and easy but size is limited.