• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stencils - How to get or make reusable paint stencils?

RyanT

Director of Entropy
I have a customer who wants a couple reusable stencils for spray painting trail markings and simple spray painted tags for an event. Stencils will be used to mark trees, plywood, etc, one is 8in x 10in, the second is 2ft x 3ft and need to be reusable (so stick-on vinyl won't work). There is some text on the logo, but I'm going to try to talk him out of that since a text won't curve well around objects.

Any recommendations on how to make them? Laser cut plastic sheet, heavy paper stock, hand cut out of some material, something else? My only equipment in house is a Summa plotter which probably won't do it. Anyone want to laser cut these?

Thanks!

V-ENGRAVE

Mylar sheets will give you durability required for reusable stencil. It can be laser cut easily. Another product for making stencils out of is oilboard.

Baz

1/16" Styrene works as well. Best to be cut by a laser but it can be cut by hand depending on details.

Commando

We use 3M control tack backing. It is plastic and works awesome. We just spray mount it to a laminated calendar and plot the hek out of it.
Also, there is a company called American stencil that makes them and they are priced good! Good and thick. OF course, its the same kind of material that highway depts. use(our main customer base).