• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Step by Step on using Cutout Lab in PhotopaintX4

R08

Fred asked if I could show how used the Cutout Lab on the Flames sample from his Real Fire DVD package . see his thread: http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32788

This is a way to clip an object and retain a transparent outside edge which automatically antialiases to any background color (including bitmap image)

I'm no pro at this.. I just learned it tonight but here goes: (Im using X4 version btw)

Step 1. Open file in photopaint and select the cutout lab in the Image menu. Zoom in until it's comfortable.
step2.jpg

Step2. Select the highlighter tool (top left) and generally go around the part of the image you want clipped

You can include little bits of orphan flames if you want. You'll notice I highlighted a couple of dark areas to allow these areas to be a bit more transparent also. You can change the size of the nib to get different results. The fill and highlight colors are only for visibility they will not affect the final output.
step3.jpg

Now select the fill tool and select inside the flame area
It will turn the fill color (color is for show only)
Mine is purple and turns the flame magenta
step4.jpg

Now select preview and see what you've done. You can go back (bottom left controls) and change it if you like or tweak it using the top right detail tools (brushes with the - or + sign)
step5.jpg

When you're satisfied press the ok button and you're good to go.

It's really a lot simpler and smarter than I originally thought. Very powerful indeed and easy to use.

Hope this helps.

iSign

nice job Rob...

..another suggestion to make your step-by-step easier to follow.. if you go to the "photo gallery" link (upper left side of page) and click on the "upload photos" link (along the skinny horizontal blue bar below your browser buttons)..

...then you can upload the pics first, and then copy the URL...

...that way, you can "legally" use the image tags to paste full size images in the body of your post, which could be an advantage allowing people to see the full size images & your written lesson without clicking into multiple windows.

R08

nice job Rob...

..another suggestion to make your step-by-step easier to follow.. if you go to the "photo gallery" link (upper left side of page) and click on the "upload photos" link (along the skinny horizontal blue bar below your browser buttons)..

...then you can upload the pics first, and then copy the URL...

...that way, you can "legally" use the image tags to paste full size images in the body of your post, which could be an advantage allowing people to see the full size images & your written lesson without clicking into multiple windows.

Thanks.. I'll do that next time... I learned that with the waggy dog gif

iSign

I wonder if someone will chime in with a photoshop equivilent..

Last edited:

Service Sign Co

You can change the size of the nib by holding down the left mouse button and the shift key,and roll the mouse. I just realized that,it may have been that way all along

BoogerB

Hrmm I'll ahve to try that... I just used the magic wand quick mask for a long time and adjusted the anti alias... or finished and feathered. I might have to try it.

BoogerB

I wonder if someone will chime in with a photoshop equivilent..
Even easier in Photoshop (at least to me).
If someone doesn't post it by tomorrow afternoon I'll try to write a quick little how-to for you. This is my X4 and Onyx machine PS is on another that is being used right now.

PM Inbound however.