• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stick to your guns (not a gun thread)

When I first started cutting vinyl over 2 years ago, I had no clue what material was suitable for what and used a lot of what I deem now as inferior materials. While I used cast vinyl for the majority of vehicle graphics, I found myself making exceptions for customers who were either too cheap or who had a dilapidated vehicle and would use calendered vinyls instead. Two years later, and after a year in business, we rarely use calendered vinyls for anything anymore. Even the cast vinyl we used to use for vehicles is now premium cast and we are thinking of moving entirely in that direction altogether, even for signage. Yeah, it's a pain in the butt to constantly order new vinyl. It's also more expensive for the customer, but it offers peace of mind, and with a wider range of colors and unlimited applications, it offers much better options.

If we have learned one valuable lesson in our first year in business, it's to stand firm on your price and don't cut corners, even if the customer insists on something more economical.

visual800

I wish all customers would come back after they leave you for crappier cheaper work. Most of the time I wont even deal with them again, it's like they cheated on you

Bigdawg

Just Me
We've had the same experience. We rarely lower our price to meet our competitors' prices and we've seen a few go to someone else. And then come back to get the job done right when the other work is not satisfactory. Glad to hear they came back!

Mikeifg

Same here we have 2 guys in new haven if i quote 500 they'll do it for 50.00. same story they always come back because cheap is cheap. cheap work cheap material cheap business etc....

Joe Diaz

I wish all customers would come back after they leave you for crappier cheaper work. Most of the time I wont even deal with them again, it's like they cheated on you

I think if you do give them a second chance sometimes they become great clients because they now understand and appreciate what you bring to the table after experiencing the alternative and not being satisfied. The ones that don't come back, the ones that are only concerned with the dollar amount and not so much with what they get for that amount, most likely won't return if you refuse to lower your price, but I say good riddance.