• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

STILL Troubleshooting HP DesignJet 8000s

Shroudz

Yellow ink will not print. C/M/K/Lc/Lm print on all nozzles. We have tried replacing the ink, changed the print head, running print head cleaning cycles. Printer shows no ink in cassette, but I have verified that it is new, liquid and unclogged. The level indicator on the bottom of the cassette is functioning.

Any thoughts? I'm kinda desperate and pretty much out of money to throw at it. I do have some spare parts from another machine.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Was this a new machine? Sounds like you invested into a money pit. I will give you a few grand towards a new printer for that thing. (So will all the dealers out there FYI)

Shroudz

No, it was running and printing the day I bought it. Then when I moved it to my location, I didn't plug it in right away. Bad news, I know. I've never owned a wide format printer before, so this has been an account-draining experience for me. I think I have learned pretty much every lesson so far the hard way.

I can afford a new machine if that "few grand" is all the new machine costs before the "few grand" discount...

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
No, it was running and printing the day I bought it. Then when I moved it to my location, I didn't plug it in right away. Bad news, I know. I've never owned a wide format printer before, so this has been an account-draining experience for me. I think I have learned pretty much every lesson so far the hard way.

I can afford a new machine if that "few grand" is all the new machine costs before the "few grand" discount...

Yeah unfortunately that wouldn't be the case.

danno

Have you tried powering up the machine with the yellow ink cartridge uninstalled? Then installing cartridge when it asks for it. The other thing to look at would be the contacts inside the machine itself. Check for ink residue around that area.

Shroudz

Tried both to no avail. Anyone know how to test the primer pump? Or anything else relevant that I haven't mentioned?
It's sad how little information is out there on troubleshooting this machine.
Or I'm just incapable of finding it :/

AKwrapguy

I had a a similar issue with one of our HP 8000. Could be several issues going on. First when it goes through a cleaning cycle do you head and grinding or chattering noises that sound like gears are slipping? If so than the issue is going to be the bushing on the gear axle, it has worn down and the motor is not properly engaging with the pumps.

If this is not the issue try placing a few drops of cleaner into the capping station and manually prime the pumps. You should see the cap cleaning solution drain down. If you don't see this than your capping station could be plugged up, tube could be damaged or disconnected.

Also post an image of a head print test to see of you have any clogged heads.

Shroudz

I'm back to trying to fix this thing. All of the original post conditions still apply, but I noticed that there is air in the yellow ink line that doesn't move when the print or prime cycles happen. So I know ink isn't moving. Are each of the ink lines primed by a separate pump/motor, or is it a single unit that primes all the lines? I have a fresh bag of ink in it, but the old chip in the cartridge. Would the chip telling the printer it's empty keep the primer/pump from attempting to do the job? Have I been kicking this rock because of a $5 chip all this time? If somebody has the patience to walk me through a complete diagnosis, I will try to not be a complete waste of time...

Joe House

A proper PM visit on those included new cap tops and new prime assemblies. Have you replaced those? Have you tried a new ink cartridge? I'm afraid if you left it unplugged you may have a very big boat anchor. Sometimes it makes more sense to involve a dealer who can help you avoid such gotchas that create money pits.

AKwrapguy

So if you moved the printer and left it unpowered for a little while? Several hours or days? It could be that the ink int he line has dried. Also if you have ink in your line and your unable to get it to move, this could be the issue as well. If there's any slack in your line try to raise or lower it to see if moves at all. if it doesn't than it most likely means that your line needs to be replaced.

Also the white sprockets that are under the capping station or the pumps and these are all activated at the same time. You might want to check the line that goes from the ink to the print heads as well as the line that goes from the capping station to the pumps and pumps to waste tank.

Attachments

• HP800_cappingstation.jpg
    HP800_cappingstation.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 170

danno

Have you tried a known good yellow ink cartridge? When we were running the 9000, about once a year we would have a cartridge with a bad chip in it.

Shroudz

We have manually cleared and tried to recharge the line. But adding the print head reintroduces air to the line. We have several bags of yellow ink. However the chip bypass hack is not working at least when you try to recharge the line through the printer and it wants you to change ink cartridges.. Does the work around only work under normal working conditions? The primer pump is not running unusually long or making weird noises. We have looked for the chips that have charge or have been reset and have found nothing. We think it would only take a chip reading a higher percentage of ink to get it recharged and working again. Has anyone had this issue or have any ideas to get this thing working? Are there any other hacks that might help?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
We have manually cleared and tried to recharge the line. But adding the print head reintroduces air to the line. We have several bags of yellow ink. However the chip bypass hack is not working at least when you try to recharge the line through the printer and it wants you to change ink cartridges.. Does the work around only work under normal working conditions? The primer pump is not running unusually long or making weird noises. We have looked for the chips that have charge or have been reset and have found nothing. We think it would only take a chip reading a higher percentage of ink to get it recharged and working again. Has anyone had this issue or have any ideas to get this thing working? Are there any other hacks that might help?

You are really going to waste a lot of time and effort to get that running. I would cut your losses and look at financing a new machine. You can get machines that are under $11k that will resolve all your problems. Of course I know that's not the answer you are looking for but honestly, once you do get it up and running, it's only a matter of time before you have other unforeseen issues that will cost you more time and money.

lennie

Yellow ink will not print. C/M/K/Lc/Lm print on all nozzles. We have tried replacing the ink, changed the print head, running print head cleaning cycles. Printer shows no ink in cassette, but I have verified that it is new, liquid and unclogged. The level indicator on the bottom of the cassette is functioning.

Any thoughts? I'm kinda desperate and pretty much out of money to throw at it. I do have some spare parts from another machine.
Hi there did u try checking the ink sensor at the bottom of the cartridge and the cartridge detector pins in the cartridge carriage.
DO you have a cartridge chip? if u do please email me on lennippillay@gmail.com