• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

still trying to figure out the yellow head issue

gabagoo

It has been a couple months or so since the yellow head began acting strangely. I dont think it is the print head and possibly the damper could need changing.

Here is what I have found over this period of time. Friday nights I always run a 60 minute nozzle wash and then manually clean the heads and leave it until Monday morning.

First thing Monday I run a test print and have found that the yellow head is firing on all cylinders you might say with a perfect test. I then can print a job with no issues. Sometimes if the machine is sitting after that print and I run a test again, then anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 the boxes are mssing from the test.

This morning (wed) I ran a print test and had 90% failure. Alarmed I immediately set up for a nozzle wash. When the head moved out I noticed that the yellow steel screen on the capping station was missing. Swung the head over and there it was stuck to the head. Slid it off carefully and replaced it, ran the test and everything is 100%.

I had the capping station changed about a year ago and noticed that the head never really parked as smooth as the original and wonder if maybe the yellow head is being forced down to far into the cap causing the yellow screen to stick to it?

Due to the fact that the problem seems intermittant, I dont want to bring a tech in until I have a better grasp of just what the problem is.

what you think?

Last edited:

gabagoo

I have set up an appointment to have all the dampers replaced...been 6 years, maybe it's about time.

ChicagoGraphics

Your not having a tech to come in to change your dampers are you, they are very easy to install yourself.

If I can do it, anyone can do it

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
if you mean screen, (the white sponge) i keep it wet so it dissolves the ink collecting on it. it sounds like the print head is tilted to allow air to start drying out the yellow side.. otherwise i think there is air in the yellow line

genericname

Odd that you replaced the capping station a year ago, but got one of the old style. The way they make them now, there are little tabs that hold the metal screens in place. They never budge now, and certainly never get stuck to the heads.

Could be that there's damage to the seal around the captop, and that an air leak is causing ink to dry on the head, only clearing when you clean it.

Even if it isn't your dampers, 6 years is waaaay too long to let those go. I shuddered when you mentioned getting a tech to replace them though. Seriously, that is a $20 part, and you can't screw anything else up unless you pry it off the print manifold at an angle.

gabagoo

Odd that you replaced the capping station a year ago, but got one of the old style. The way they make them now, there are little tabs that hold the metal screens in place. They never budge now, and certainly never get stuck to the heads.

Could be that there's damage to the seal around the captop, and that an air leak is causing ink to dry on the head, only clearing when you clean it.

Even if it isn't your dampers, 6 years is waaaay too long to let those go. I shuddered when you mentioned getting a tech to replace them though. Seriously, that is a $20 part, and you can't screw anything else up unless you pry it off the print manifold at an angle.

I'm getting some prices from my dealer for dampers and a syringe. I think I have the tabs it is a small protrusion on one side of the screen... This is the second time the yellow one has lifted out. I pushed them all down to make sure they are fastened.

gabagoo

Broke down and had the yellow pump changed and had these new dampers put in which are twice as big as the originals...problem gone... Also put the larger dampers on the cyan line as I have seen at times ink starvation in my blues.

gabagoo

Oh wow, you were still using the OEM teeny dampers? Those big ones will change your life.

in 6 years I never had need to change them.... I am pretty vigilant with maintenance... the tech was surprised at how clean my printer was. Might have to change the other 4 once I see how these work