• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stilts anyone???????

OldPaint

gee i thought you came here.........because WE KNOW IT ALL)))))))))))))))))))))) and you dont(((((((((((((((((((((

I can't see why the stilts wouldn't be a useful tool. I've done plenty of jobs that required a ladder that could've been accomplished on stilts -- think of the $$ saved if I hadn't have had to drive the big van to the install.

It's like anything else -- practice enough and it will be easy; the guy dancing is proof of that. So, if you get a pair, just wear them around the house and yard... walk the dog around the neighborhood... maybe you could even advertise yourself as more "green" -- or the stilts could be a new signature for you!

On another note: I had thought that sjm was a pain in the ass to Gino because he was a nasty little troll... but now I am wondering if he just had enough of Gino's bloviation...

Joe Diaz

Hey you could become a full on cyborg and get some of those toy robotic claws. That way if you dropped a tool on the ground and you were on stilts you could reach it. :Big Laugh :thumb:

marobotclaw.jpg

GypsyGraphics

I did another 20ft box truck over the weekend and my problem was getting to the top of the box without access to a ladder. Good thing I had a buddy who let me borrow his for the job.

I have a rather disjointed response.

Well I was just going to post how much I hate when I hire someone to do a job and they show up here without the right tools. I hate it even more when I have to loan them mine. I don't like sharing MY TOOLS! (mine, mine, mine)

But then i also wanted to also mention that I REALLY LIKE ladders. When i was buying my scaffolding, which i really didn't need to own, i spotted a telescoping ladder in the guys garage and even though it wasn't for sale AND i didn't need it, i bought it. It's very compact, but very heavy, so i assume it would be pretty stable. I say i assume, because as i said, i didn't need it and consequently haven't used it. But i would imagine two of those and a contraption like signmeup posted (in this thread) could work.

Now for the stilts question...
I'd be the first to say BUY some, just cuz they'd be fun to own. But i think they'd be a bad choice for a wrap job. Don't people just use those to throw up drywall, not do finish carpentry work? Although after watching that video... i'm sure THAT guy COULD do finish carpentry work in stilts.

Now i want stilts and i want to go play with THAT guy!

Last edited:

CheapVehicleWrap

While a noble idea, drywall stilts won't work for wrapping. If they did they'd be in the fellers catalog a long time ago. As mentioned get a couple little giants a plank and a few rolling ladders. I have 3 rolling ladders of different sizes and they're great. Forklifts and scissors lifts have come in handy at times too. Frank's coming out with some anti gravitational wrap sneakers soon I hear.

Craig Sjoquist

I use double sided ladders, also scaffolding on adjustable legs & wheels for higher then 6 ft off the ground, simple, safe, easy to haul, easy to put together.

John L

I actually learned what a Hemato is from a Little Giant ladder once and havent climbed on one of them since that incident. Please you guys, double check those latches before use.

I am not recommending you do it, cause you might bust your butt. I have installed signs, painted stripes, and installed storefront vinyl (as well as drywall, finishing, ceiling grid and tiles) from drywall stilts for years. I even still have my double set out in the shop that I made out of two sets to reach even higher. Stilts take a lot of practice, but it can be safely done after putting in the time, and I am proof. You've touched on some of the pros... they can be tossed in a car and carried to the job, they are cheap, they work on a variety of surfaces (with practice), they are quick to setup and use.

What I DO recommend is that you look into buying a "baker" scaffold (also mainly a drywall tool). These are strong, secure, cheap, and can even be safely scooted along from above by the user (with practice) on a level, smooth floor or parking lot.