• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stinky avery calendered vinyl

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Back in the 80s, our shop was up the street from a large waste removal company. Did that ever stink. Problem is, it wasn't the trash and whatnot, but they'd spray them down every night and the the stuff they used was a sickening sweet smell. It was to 1/2 sanitize them and 1/2 to rid them of the rats and mosquitoes. Ya know, on some nights, ya never smelled it and other nights it was just plain horrible. Now, I know what they mean when they say a garbage man eventually becomes immune to the smell.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I hate Avery because they screwed everyone years back. Long story and worth looking up if new to the trade…
Yes ,
The smell is horrible. Idk what they changed but I avoid it unless I need a certain color.

Patentagosse

I had a mobile unit for decades, going from dealerships to dealerships doing stripes & graphics (like TrimLine did in that era too)... my van was full of striping rolls, mostly 3M. Nothing comes even close of that great 3M adhesive smell, especially the serie I used in that days (High Performance Automotive Grade). To each his own. I also had a lot of TFX (Universal Products) but the smell was less noticeable (they were Avery, Neschen and Ritrama in most part). I had some Sharpline too and they were 3M Automotive Grade too. Avery's adhesive was different back then... now their film smell horrible like if they were recycling old stuff.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Man this stuff absolutely stinks (Avery HP750 Calendered gloss). Ordered 28 yds of this stinky stuff. I prefer the smell of 3m dusted, or rapidtac 2... Mmmmm
I will call your Avery and raise you 3M IJ35c. Something changed in the formula & it now has the smell of unwashed feet after a 5k run in 95-degree heat (leather shoes / no socks). This is before it is printed. When it gets heated up the smell takes on a whole new life of its own.

unclebun

Yeah. The Avery didn't used to smell like puke, but now it does. Also doesn't weed as well as it used to, especially the cast Avery.

sardocs

We had some brand of clear plastic transfer tape that smelled like the filthy urinals in the dive bars my band used to play at.