• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stolen vehicle recovered!

threeputt

Some of you may remember my post about my daughter's vehicle being stolen. About 12 weeks ago or so.

Well, we've got it back. The Vancouver (WA.) PD impounded it. It was abandoned at a gas pump at a 7-11.

We paid the impound fees and towing fees and now she's got it.

Story has ended well.

Flame

I just want to know what people are thinking when they steal something.........and then just leave it somewhere.

Only major item I ever got stolen from me, I found in the bushes at McDonalds a few blocks down. Just...........why?

threeputt

I just want to know what people are thinking when they steal something.........and then just leave it somewhere.

This guy was probably thinking, "I need transportation". The reason I say this is we found evidence he has kids in the truck. Also,they're were several unopened packs of smokes in the vehicle also. I don't think he intended to abandon it.

My guess is he tried to pass a bad check or stolen credit card inside the 7-11 and got spooked when the clerk said he was going to call the cops.

The vehicle was in super good shape (which we were sure it wouldn't be) so apparently he intended to keep it that way and use it for his own.

threeputt

Where the keys still in it ?

Nope. He punched the steering column lock and somehow got a "dummy" key to turn the engine over. That's about the only damage we've found. Her ignition key still works in the lock though.

What's really funny though is that all of her stuff was still behind the seats. (crew cab). Some clothes, boots, gym bag, school stuff, softball mitt, sleeping bag, etc. Totally strewn about.... but still in there.

Hey....we even inherited some of his stuff. (socket wrenches, etc.) How do you like that?

now i would just be concerned that he knows where you live and where the car is from any information that was in the vehicle as well as any keys that may have been in there or automatic garage door opener. call me paranoid...but like i always say just because you are paranoid it doesn't mean you are wrong.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Good ending, but I'd listen to some of the points Dan brought up. I'd change some locks around the house and maybe be on the lookout for awhile. It's not nice to feel violated like that, but you sure can learn how to avoid it from happening again.... or something worse.

TheSnowman

Hey....we even inherited some of his stuff. (socket wrenches, etc.) How do you like that?
I wouldn't call it inherited if you had to pay impound and towing fees. It's more like you paid top dollar for garage sale tools.

threeputt

now i would just be concerned that he knows where you live and where the car is from any information that was in the vehicle as well as any keys that may have been in there or automatic garage door opener. call me paranoid...but like i always say just because you are paranoid it doesn't mean you are wrong.

Actually hadn't thought of that. Good points. But don't want to alarm her. She's in a basement apartment which may not have it's own address. I'll check on her security and those other issues. (thanks for mentioning)

No garage door opener as the car is parked on the street in a mixed neighborhood of older established residences, many of whom have been converted to house students, and small apartments.

I did get her a "club". (steering wheel type, not ball bat type)