• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stomp Shear Wanted

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
have an antique shear here....it cuts 080, but you have apply all your weight, and really jump on it.....it's 36in and i wouldn't really want anything bigger.....for me, the 52in would be overkill...

Mosh

Most material comes in 48" wide sheets. 52" give you a couple of inches so you can get it in there easily. I can't figure out how shops operate without one. Do you have to order everything pre-cut? How can you buy material in bulk and save money?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
We used to have one of these and loved it. The only thing you will find with cutting 080" with it is that the cut is slightly angular so that the thicker the material the more one edge is knife-like.

J Hill Designs

first time I've heard of someone loving something they bought at Harbor Freight...usually its "it was cheap, got the job done, and broke 6 mo's later"

Mosh

Notice you "used to" have it. Harbor stuff is cheap and it does not cost alot either.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
first time I've heard of someone loving something they bought at Harbor Freight...usually its "it was cheap, got the job done, and broke 6 mo's later"

I would normally agree with you but, the fact is, we used that shear for more than six years and consider it one of the best additions we ever added to our business. We mostly used it for 040" which it cuts straight and true like butter. With it we were able to economically and efficiently offer aluminum signs in a variety of sizes for the same or less than anything we would cut on our panel or table saws. The public loved it and has an decided preference for aluminum.

When we sold it, it brought us 60% of its original cost so our actual cost of use was about $5 a month.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Notice you "used to" have it. Harbor stuff is cheap and it does not cost alot either.

The only reason we "used" to have it is that we downsized our business two years ago when we gave up our retail shop. Otherwise we would have never considered selling it. It brought $600 when we sold it and was working perfectly.

Mainframe

Thanks a bunch Fred, this is my next new "Big Toy" - I have access to a 36er but it drives me nuts, the 52 will be perfect!

d fleming

Bought my stomp shear from a good friends estate after he passed. Took a crane to get it where it is. Gotta be from the 40's or 50's. Easily as heavy as our hydraulic paper cutter. Still cuts whatever we put in it like butter and I get to remember my friend Woody and smile every time I use it. One of the best and most used tools I own.

Pat Whatley

My former boss has been trying to unload 38" and 52" Tennsmith shears for almost a year...but shipping a 500 shear from Alabama to Alaska is gonna be a little pricey.

Billct2

yea I've been wanting an 8' stomp shear for while, but they go fast when the price is right. And it has to be within pick up distance, don't want to pay freight on something that heavy.

d fleming

I hear ya, paid more to have mine moved across town then the purchase price. We moved a 12' brake too but still, crane rental aint cheap. Would hate to ship it.

onesource

I have one that has a 39" cut area
It is old and heavy duty, I think I've cut 080 with it before
It's been sitting and I would have to see if I could even get to it

thewood

Our 52" Tennsmith is still going after 15+ years. Cuts .080 aluminum with no problem.

Definitely go at least 48" wide. Anything that would necessitate a shear comes in 48" widths, no?

In fact, our 52" is still not big enough for some jobs. Luckily, we have a sheet metal shop down the street that lets us use their 96" shear.