• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stop me from streaking!

cencalprinter

I'm getting this funky streaking from my JV3-130SPII on all materials. I've cleaned the hell out of everything and no luck. 4-6-8 pass all suck with this. Any suggestions are really appreciated. Is this a dampner issue? Pump issue?

Oh yeah. I'm running Flexi 7.6v2.

AARG!

Attachments

• streak.jpg
    streak.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 124

iSign

Sad to say it, & of course I'm no expert... but it might be time for a few new print heads. How long have those one's been running? My Mimaki was starting to do that on more solid colors & finally i bit the bullet & had it serviced... year 4 and it's running better than ever now!

thewood

That could be signs of ink starvation due to bad dampers, pump, heads, etc.

I've also seen that effect (especially in light blues and greens) due to too much heat. At what pre- and print heats are you running?

cencalprinter

I usually run the heat @ 32 pre, and 34 print. Where should I start? I don't like the sound of more $$$$. We don't have more $$$$. I'm scraping by as it is.

thewood

32 and 34 already sound pretty low to me. I run quite a bit hotter than that. What do your test prints look like? Do you have many deflections/missing lines?

gabagoo

I have the same issue with cyan heavy colours like blue and greens. I usually try and run out of high speed and 8 pass bidirectional and they print nicer but still a little streaky at times. I figure it is my head that crashed early in my printers life. If it is critical that I get a really good print I lower the heads and it usually prints perfectly.

MilanoGuru

Run it Hotter and Run it slower. I have had that issue on heavy banner material. Come to find out it was a mixture of the material not getting hot enough and not letting the ink and heat alter the surface so you still get all those streaky wavy lines from the production of the material... But ya never know in the print world! Good Luck!

Modern Ink

Looks like a banner so.......

Increase your heat to about 50 pre / 45 print.

Print @ 720 x 720 8 pass
add a .2 or .3 second delay (this helps if you are starving the ink supply)

What is it being used for? If being fiewed from a few feet away that will look just fine........

peavey123

Just a thought...is your vacuum on? or at 100%? Make sure your software isn't overriding your printer settings. Another thing you can try is changing your dither type. I find that every once in a while error diffusion works better for gradients and such...good luck.

cencalprinter

Wow! I can't believe the response on this "help me" thread. I'm gonna give it the good old college try on what you all have suggested here. I can't believe how generous you guys are with your time and knowledge to help a complete stranger out. Thank you all. I'll have to get back to it in just over a week as I'm heading out of town for a bit. But when I get back I'm gonna slap this printer into shape.
:toasting:

Thanks again for the advise.

BTW, the test prints look perfect when I go into Function - Test print.

ColesCreations

Have you tried to raise your heads? That and cooler temp worked for us, but as you're already at 30 or so, that should be ok...

Maybe a better refresh rate?

Have you tried to raise your heads? That and cooler temp worked for us, but as you're already at 30 or so, that should be ok...

Maybe a better refresh rate?

Generally as the Print Heads age and the Nozzles no longer fire completely straight you'll get an improvement in quality by lowering the Heads (assuming they were running in the "Thick" setting. The difference can usually be seen quite clearly in the smoothness of the "Media Comp" print.

Also, are you by any chance running Flexi Sign? Not sure if SAI ever addressed the problem but it used to be notorious for this kind of streaking on JV3s.

particleman

Are you running bidirectional? Try running in unidirectional mode and see if the problem goes away. If it does you may have enviornmental conditions in your shop such as humidity affecting the print.

ast

I'm getting this funky streaking from my JV3-130SPII on all materials. I've cleaned the hell out of everything and no luck. 4-6-8 pass all suck with this. Any suggestions are really appreciated. Is this a dampner issue? Pump issue?

Oh yeah. I'm running Flexi 7.6v2.

AARG!

i believe the sample picture is a print on tarpaulin? even on photo paper you still have streaks?

ColesCreations

Generally as the Print Heads age and the Nozzles no longer fire completely straight you'll get an improvement in quality by lowering the Heads (assuming they were running in the "Thick" setting. The difference can usually be seen quite clearly in the smoothness of the "Media Comp" print.

Also, are you by any chance running Flexi Sign? Not sure if SAI ever addressed the problem but it used to be notorious for this kind of streaking on JV3s.

This was an eye opener for me. Never knew Flexi was notorious for this. We used to run 7.6, had the same problem, now 8, it did it the other day on a dark blue print. Printed again, on the same media, it was a long narrow print, one color, and room on the left side. This time with "no color correction", nothing else changed, now it printed perfectly. Go figure. Also, these streaks are recurring at exactly the same distance, making me feel it is more of a software issue than just the profile.

Yeah, 7.6 is a real pain in the ass for this kind of streaking. When I worked at Mimaki there was a period where we were swapping out customer's machines until we realized what was going on!

If you have a copy of the Mimaki RasterLink that came with your printer, fire this up and run the same prints for comparison.

The problem seems to be inherent in the RIP Engine but there are a few things you can do;

- Run the Heads in Thin
- In the Printer Options change "High Quality" to "1bit" (if I remember correctly)
- Have someone build custom profiles for your media with very careful attention to the Ink Limits/Restrictions (The one's provided with Flexi tend to rather stingy with the amount of ink used)

Hope this helps,

~DM