• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Stopping by to introduce myself

Firemalt

My name is Tim, and I recently have gotten interested in vinyl cutting. I did a little research on different models, but opted to purchase a cheaper brand/model to see if this was something I'd like to get more involved in, and possible create a small side business later down the road.

I purchased a US Cutter PCUT 25" Creation CT630 for around $250 from ebay. From my understanding these machines are pretty much disposible, but I must say... so far I fairly impressed by the material used on the machine. It seems to be heavy duty, and though I have only cut about a dozen items... it has worked perfectly.

It came with a software called SignBlazer. They offered a free demo version online, so I was able to see how user friendly the software was, prior to the purchase. It seems like a decent novice software with not too many overwhelming options, but enough to get what needs to be done, finished.

Over the last week or so, I've been trying to build a collection of vector images, so I can practice designing different things, plus practice cutting, weeding, applying, etc. But it seems that vector art is like GOLD online.

I work for a local fire department, and currently my first project is to make all the guys on my shift, a station sticker for the their vehicles...

Look forward to learning a lot from this site!
-Tim-

Robert H. Bigart

Hi Guy

I suggest you get "Illustrator" and "Corel Draw" which are commercial programs and then go on the Internet and get the free programs called "Inscape" , "Ghostview"and "Irfanview" then try to get a program called "Plans" a program made by but not supported by Gary Hale from Oregon.

With these programs you can take any clipart and convert to Vector and output to a plotter by "Plans" or "Corel" with out extra cost.

Bob Bigart

:thread

Firemalt

Hi Guy

I suggest you get "Illustrator" and "Corel Draw" which are commercial programs and then go on the Internet and get the free programs called "Inscape" , "Ghostview"and "Irfanview" then try to get a program called "Plans" a program made by but not supported by Gary Hale from Oregon.

I know AI and Corel are not free... but what about the others you mentioned?

Robert H. Bigart

Made with PLANS Trains-1.jpg

Bob Bigart

njelsmom

What kinds of things have you cut with your machine? You say you've cut about a dozen things. I want to cut some 'wall words' mostly and make a couple of bigger 'signy' type things - not sure how to go for a machine.

Firemalt

Thanks for everyone's replies, and input... even though I stated I purchased a cheap cutter. ;)

I look forward to visiting this site, and hope to share some of my self taught learning experiences with other new comers in the future.