• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Storage?

Locals Find!

I have a Cloud Storage Account with Godaddy. I think it costs me around $7.99 a month. I can map the folders to my local computers so its like having the drives right there. Great for sharing files across various machines.

Might want to look into something like that. Mechanical drives no matter what the setup will always fail at some point. I would much rather go with a cloud based system that is backed up way more than I could ever accomplish on my own.

Mosh

Last year I put up a 80'x120' steel building and final cost was under $80K, only half of it is concrete floor. But pretty cheep storage for the stufff I have in there.

ironchef

Hahahaha. That's rich... you can fit alot of servers in there..... godaddy cloud. Amazon cloud. Dropbox cloud now neatdesk has a cloud. Which is the best cloud service? I'm planning on that also. But i don't want to rely on just online backup. I have a crappy dsl att service. So i also need a good nas or cheap server. My budget is no more then 500. Also i was reading some comments above.... so you setup the nas or whatever to sync or save every time we save a file from the programs we choose, correct? But you also save it to that pc hdd right?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Show of hands: Just how many people here back up their ones and zeros and how many people have had to actually use that backup to save their butts because of some hardware or software meltdown? Using a backup because you mistakenly deleted something or another doesn't count as an instance of the latter.

Further, for how many people here would life end if they did loose a hard drive or two? Not how much of a pain in the butt it would be, but actually stopping breathing.

If you fall into that latter class, you don't need backup, you need therapy. You need to find a way to conduct your business without complete dependence on technology. If you cry out that it can't be done, look around at those who would respond that their lives would go on. What do they know that you don't?

Do I backup my stuff? No. I admit to keeping a CDR/W with my font directory on it but that's just as much to keep multiple machines in sync as it is self preservation. But for the rest of it, there's not much I can't rebuild in a matter of minutes. I don't fret all that much about losing previous work. It was, after all, previous and I've already been paid for it.

Moreover I know that the probability of any backup being bad is exactly the same as the primary data being bad. Backup is just something else that can go wrong. If backup is simple, easy, requires no time, and costs nothing, why not? If it isn't any of those things, why?

Before your collective knees dislocate themselves from jerking, consider that I've been dealing with computers, all facets of them from design, construction, repair, programming, and operation, for close to a half century. Not only do I have some ken of the matter, I also know full well that life is possible and just as pleasant without them as with them.

Locals Find!

I have Bob! I lost my entire external hard drive when it fell to the floor. Without my backup I wouldn't have been able to complete the weeks orders. So, I can say I 100% wouldn't be without my backup system.

If you can survive without one good for you. I have too much invested in my stuff to risk it. Kinda like owning a home without homeowners insurance. It's just plain dumb in my opinion. Why wouldn't you want to backup and protect what you spent your hard earned money on??

choucove

When it comes to backup systems, in the end it doesn't matter if you go with a Synology NAS, a server, or even just an external hard drive or cloud storage. The fact is you are taking necessary steps to protect your business. Backing up your data is easy, it's cheap, data storage can be found in SO many forms and it is so easy to come by and store that simply there is no excuse. If something so simple as a $100 hard drive can store and keep the contents that make up years and years of thousands or millions of dollars of invested interest, why not?

True, some people are not in the situation, but I'd say for most business owners losing their data is equivalent to beheading their business. Customer records, contracts, artwork, emails, employee information, everything that is electronically stored gone means effectively halting your business and destroying work flow. Yes, in most cases this kind of failure can still be overcome, you can wipe your hands of it and begin rebuilding, but the lost time, the work involved to overcome it can be enough to completely kill a business, and it all could have been avoided with a single $100 investment.

MikePro

Seagate GoFlex is garbage... bought one 2TB because it was $100 at WalMart and i've had nothing but issues with it. So i ripped out the HD and installed it in my MacPro as backup storage space and its been working GREAT since!

Border

The UPS guy JUST dropped of my new Synology unit so we'll see how easy that is to get up and running with a [hopefully] good, fresh backup!

signswi

I'm gonna look into this next
Free NAS

openfiler is also worth looking at if you're rolling your own. I prefer Synology for business due to reliability of both software and hardware controllers. At home I just run a stripped down ubuntu server install with mdadm, rsync to offsite, etc.

choucove

I'm a little lost here in the definition and classification on the high end of some of these devices between NAS and SAN. For instance, for one customer I'm doing research for they are looking into centralized storage and ideally, a cluster environment for a few servers. Doing this of course the suggest a SAN, but a true SAN starts at a minimum of $10,000 and goes up VERY fast! However, an enterprise SAN unit such as this Synology RS3412RPxs unit seems just like all the SAN that I have looked at. So what is the difference? What is the defining line between an enterprise NAS like this one and when something crosses over to become a SAN?

signswi

A SAN is a network of devices, a NAS is a single device. SAN is traditionally fibre channel whereas NAS is ethernet IP driven but the two approaches are seeing a lot of convergence so your confusion isn't uncommon.

rjssigns

I have a client that is developing a 1 petabyte rack mount storage solution in 3U format. He won't give me one to try though. It would be the only way I could afford one.

choucove

1 Petabyte in a 3U is ridiculously awesome! It is amazing the amount of data storage that can be purchased today, as it is just as impressive how much data you can use. I remember four or five years back now when we built our first file server for the sign shop. At that time we put in six 500 GB hard drives in a RAID 10 array. Having 1.5 TB of data was "obscene" I was told by one of the sign shop designers, and completely impossible to fill. Now these years later, we still have 1.5 TB in that server, but using just two 1.5 TB hard drives in RAID 1, and it's over half full with artwork, customer files, fonts, and system images.

I have a customer who is looking into centralized storage as right now they don't really have any kind of server or data backup even though they have nearly 50 computers in their business. Normally just a few shared folders would be all they need, which would be cheap to supply from a central NAS or server, but their intent is to make regular system images using Windows Backup and Restore onto the centralized storage. That's about 50 system images, backed up weekly, at about 60GB to 80GB each! That's a TON of space! Of course this really doesn't seem feasible for their business, so we're working on a method to reduce that number drastically.

signswi

A friend of mine is an engineer for Fusion-io, the storage solutions he gets to play with are insane.

choucove I would think an imaging solution that only writes changes would be the obvious answer. Those numbers aren't too unreasonable really but can be cut way down with a write changes only system. After the initial snapshot is made the weekly (heck, nightly) change writes will be very reasonable.

Edit: Decent summary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_backup

Last edited: