• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Store front graphics

mudmedia

about 7 months ago I put 2 pieces of vinyl (I used IJ35c) on front windows for a salon. Everything seemed ok I went through a lot of papertowels and alchohol to get it clean and I THOUGHT it was clean enough.

Drove by there last week and seen that the corners are peeling up as if it was not cleaned properly. The client has not complained but I want to replace the graphics for them anyways just as it doesnt look good to me.

I am going to be using Oracal 3751 cast material instead of calandered but is there a specific cleaning method you guys use? With the rubber seals I can never seem to get it completely clean.

Any tips, suggestions? On most windows I cut 1/8 inch away from the edges but they did not want that.

Thanks in advance!

mudmedia

Pat that is what I was thinking. Calandered should have worked it had to be in my prep mistakes. Honestly it did not come clean at all and I whiped a lot and there was always some type of dirt residue that came on the rag.

Maybe I just need to spend more time cleaning the seals and all around the window even framework so that there is no dirt getting in.

Just was not sure if i was doing something wrong in my technique but I think I just rushed the cleaning process a tad bit.

binki

Some canned air might help as well to coax the dirt out. If you want an adventure try amonia with the canned air. Wear a face mask and eye protection.

Craig Sjoquist

Only thing that works to clean windows is...... Bon Ami ..1886 formula.. period

Everything else deposits something back on the glass or leaves something.

On new glass after washing, small dots may appear ( silicone ) wash again & maybe again.

Bon Ami 1886 formula is used in glass cleaning for gold leaf as many know, it is the only soap that does now leave anything behind or deposit .. just use a clean rag, dampen, sprinkle Bon-ami on rag, wipe & scrub, let dry, wipe off with clean dry rag. do not touch glass or your print is on it.

CanuckSigns

I always explain to customers that we have to cut the vinyl back from the edge gasket slightly as it never sticks properly, none of them have ever had an issue with it when it was done, you don't even notice.

If they insist on going right to the edge against my better judgement, no warrantee

jkdbjj

Start with straight white vinegar, which is an all purpose cleaner. Then use the 70% alcohol, which is a degreaser. Alcohol is not a cleaner but a degreaser. There is no one product that works, but this combination works wonders!

Not to mention, this is super cost effective, and environmentally friendly.

Good luck.

J

john1

Never had any issues using calendered media on windows. I even used some Concept 203 from General Formulations when i was in a pinch and there is maybe a 1/16" shrink line around the contour cut line...Been on window for a few years.

I have had issues with IJ35 peeling up though, Using their 8509 laminate caused it to peel up even on rounded corners.

jhd

I spray with alcohol and scrape the entire glass area where the graphic is going to be installed with a knife (made by stanley, yellow tool that holds a knife - works awesome) to remove all debris, clean again with alcohol and again with alcohol using new paper towels. I also do not take my vinyl to the gasket, I leave a 1/4 inch all around. Good Luck

Craig Sjoquist

Bon-Ami ... sold in any grocery store & still is [ problem, it is not the 1886 formula ]

Bon-Ami 1886 formula .. is sold at at Ace Hardware ( that is where I got mine ) had to order it at the time they had 690 cans in warehouse took a week, ordered 6 cost was under $10 including sales tax

The 1886 formula is the only one that works on glass in fact any smooth surface including dry painted 1 Shot or any gloss surface....WITHOUT SCRATCHING

rjssigns

Pull the gasket. Install and trim to edges of the IG panel. Reinstall gasket. No more peeling since the graphic is trapped.
Good friend of ours is a professional tinter and we've helped him here and there. Got paid besides learning some neat tricks.