• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Storefront Canvas Awning - Vinyl or Paint?

s.hack

I have a customer that wants their some lettering for their awning. They said the last people to install this used heat transfer vinyl for it but it started to come off. After searching through the forum I found a few answers. Some say boat awning vinyl heat transferred would be good for long term. Most people are saying that paint is better. If I was to go with paint I would be making a stencil and then applying the paint. I was wondering if anyone has had any recent jobs related to this that could answer some of my questions?

Should I go with the boat canvas vinyl?
Paint? Acrylic? Latex? Screen-print?

Thanks in advance.
P.S. If you're in Toronto send me a PM :)

studebaker

Deluded Artist
Unfortunately, vinyl and vinyl mask won't stick to old canvas awning... Quality Thermo film is the only way to go on this deal.

visual800

I assume your going to do the awning on site? If so I would cut vinyl mask and paint it with latex. In order for you to use heat applied you will have to take awning down and press it on using a special vinyl available thru sunbrella or glen raven

Z SIGNS

+1 for painting with latex.
Make your mask with the thinest high performance vinyl,use a heat gut and rivet brush to work it into the fabric.
Make the first coat the color of the awning so you won't notice any bleed.
Stroke it lightly in the proper direction.

studebaker

Deluded Artist
Make your mask with the thinnest high performance vinyl, use a heat gut and rivet brush to work it into the fabric.

+1 on this answer! It sounds like he's done it before!

JLD984

I did this eight years ago with acrylic paint and the paint is still as good as new, the awnings have had it though. I made a stencil from regular sign vinyl but cut the letters 1mm inside then applied high tack application tape and stuck it on the awning and left the application tape on. I then used a really sharp pencil to tear through the application tape every so often to draw short feint lines to make an outline of the letters. Remove the stencil and you're left with an accurate outline ready to paint.

visual800

Make your mask with the thinest high performance vinyl,use a heat gut and rivet brush to work it into the fabric.

Not to argue your statement but we always use oracal 651, becuase thats the vinyl we use. I prime with flat latex never paintinginto the edges and dont lay it on thick. We then come back with eggshell or satin to topcoat and peel each letter as we get done to insure very very minimal bleed