• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Storefront vs Home Based Business?

visualtechmedia

What are some of the advantages and disadvantages of a storefront business versus a home based business? Have any of you experienced both and what's your option on the two situations?

ams

I started out as a home based business and then went to commercial. Home based was a nightmare, here is some reasons why.

#1. Everyone knows your home phone number or cell phone number and call at the crack of dawn or late at night.
#2. The county doesn't allow any customers to come to a home for pick up or any kind of money exchange, hence I would have to go out and meet customers.
#3. Everyone knows where you live, if you **** off a customer they know where to find you.
#4. Theft, it's easier to break in and steal from a home instead of a commercial building and very few houses have security cameras.
#5. Lack of power, few houses are capable of having 220v and almost never 440v.
#6. Limited space, no room to grow.
#7. Customers feel weird going to someones house, it's not professional.
#8. Makes you look small and cheap, like a wannabe shop.

Some other things as well, hope this helps. By the way there are commercial buildings that the costs are cheaper than renting a house.

WildWestDesigns

It's really going to depend on your jurisdiction.

In my industry there are a lot of home based businesses that are as legit as store fronts and do have more abilities then store fronts. But not always the case.

Some jurisdictions allow for customers to come to your home, some do not. If you are in a sub division, sometimes the CC&Rs will get you while the city and/or county may not have a problem.

It's a different mindset then with a store front.

You can get around some of the disadvantages with the tech that's available, but the biggest thing is if they have to come to you. There is going to be that stigma, rather founded or not. How you are going to be able to handle that is going to be the key thing.

jman

Home based blows. Honestly I've been home based for 10 years and just want out at this point. Everything in the second post is pretty on point lol

I'm actually making a post later in regards to being home based and business not going well.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Each has its advantages. With a storefront, your going to have tire kickers, and people that want the cheapest items, and will want you to "beat" the internet price. You will have it as a home based business, but it won't be as much, because of your lower exposure. I am a home based, but I don't use a room in my home. I have a shop at the rear of my property that is only used for business. It is accessed from an alley, and I have a sign hanging there, but with my business, I see very little walk in business. But I did set my business up differently. I originally started working doing sub contract work for other sign companies. This worked out well for me, personally. I have (3) companies that call me, and keep me honestly very busy. (1) is an older gentleman that has been in his very large town for his entire life, and he know everybody. (1) is a young man that opened his own graphic design firm from his parents copy and print shop, and he wants to expand his business into signs, and the third is an established company that sends me his over flow work...

This in addition to my customers that come to me directly, I am busy, and quite happy...

I started out as a home based business and then went to commercial. Home based was a nightmare, here is some reasons why.

#1. Everyone knows your home phone number or cell phone number and call at the crack of dawn or late at night. after hours, let it go to voice mail.
#2. The county doesn't allow any customers to come to a home for pick up or any kind of money exchange, hence I would have to go out and meet customers.Each area of zoning is indeed different, but personally, I deliver, or install.
#3. Everyone knows where you live, if you **** off a customer they know where to find you.Always a possibility, but I have never had a customer want to do harm to me or property in over 10 years.
#4. Theft, it's easier to break in and steal from a home instead of a commercial building and very few houses have security cameras. Video cameras can be purchased for $300, and easily installed. I have (4) at my shop, showing every point of entry, also a sign saying "This property under 24 hour video surveillance, protected by (security) company.
#5. Lack of power, few houses are capable of having 220v and almost never 440v. Seriously? All breaker boxes are 220, and if you need 220 service, it can be added, if you have the extra breaker space. If not, an electrician can add a second box. 440v? What are you planning on running at 440v?
#6. Limited space, no room to grow. True, and some municipalities will frown on the extra stuff that comes from having a business. Extra garbage or off cut materials. Items that are left out waiting to be disposed of.
#7. Customers feel weird going to someones house, it's not professional.possibly. But if you deliver, and install, most customers won't ever need to come to your house.
#8. Makes you look small and cheap, like a wannabe shop. depends on if you set up in your home, or out building, but if done correctly, most customers won't ever come to your house.

Some other things as well, hope this helps. By the way there are commercial buildings that the costs are cheaper than renting a house.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Home based doesn't necessarily mean working from your kitchen table. We've been home based ten years and plan on another five more years before building a stand-alone shop.

One mentor I worked for built a $3 million manufacturing business while in the basement of his three bedroom ranch house. And another mentor I know did something close, but not quite as elaborate from his home. Both went on to obtain commercial buildings and grew their businesses even bigger.

There's something to be said about small beginnings...

JB

carpersign

I have been home based for 35 yrs. Here is why.
1. I wanted to be at home when my kids were growing up
2. I wanted to stay small, no employees
3. When looking at your budget, you can combine housing costs and business building costs into one property, hopefully
you will be able to afford a larger better property for each. This assumes that there are properties available that
suit your needs and local zoning will allow it.
4. Incorperate and pay yourself rent, lower taxes
5. It's about life style
6. I am not working out of my house, I am living above my shop
7. I wouldn't trade it for any thing

ams

My goal has always been to keep growing and expanding, hiring more employees, buying more equipment, etc. So home based doesn't work for me.
Basically it can be a big hassle to be home based, but if you want to be small and have 0 to maybe 2 employees and not grow, it works well.
I just want to grow to a 20,000 - 25,000 sq. ft. building and do manufacturing and have 3 or 4 locations max.

WildWestDesigns

Basically it can be a big hassle to be home based, but if you want to be small and have 0 to maybe 2 employees and not grow, it works well.

It all depends on how you do things.

Back in the 70s and 80s, my grandfather had an oil machinery hauling company that he ran from the home. His office (it was shared with my grandmother that did the books) was at the house. They had out building that housed their 8 truck fleet and 7 employees (grandpa ran one truck) and another office out there.

It was not slip shod in the slightest and they ran it out of their own property for the entire time. The oil bust in the mid 80s caused them to get out while they still could with most of what they had earned rather then sinking it further into the business that was having a very rough patch.

They had about 16 acres of land around their house, so it really does depend on the situation.

It also depends how you set things up and run things. Even though it's from your home, you still have to run it like any other business. That's hard in a lot of different ways. It's not for everyone, that's for sure, but it really does depend on the situation. Have to think about the C/B of everything and while it may work for some, it may not be the best thing to do for someone else and vice versa.

visual800

ive been home based for 28 years. I do not care for "time wasters" coming thru front door, I dont have that. I do not have clients at my home I go to them. I have always been disiplines and 8-5 ( or 9-4) Im done with work. I do not share im home based I dont have to.

we get kick *** tax write offs without the overhead expense. We are professional and have always tried to do top notch work. We go after big jobs so we dont miss anything IMO. I would not trade it for the world. Just because an owner does not have a storefront doesnt mean they are not professional.

we do not advertise in the YP nor are we a member of any chamber, BBB or any other worthless crap out there. I love it and wouldnt change it for the world

ams

It all depends on how you do things.

Back in the 70s and 80s, my grandfather had an oil machinery hauling company that he ran from the home. His office (it was shared with my grandmother that did the books) was at the house. They had out building that housed their 8 truck fleet and 7 employees (grandpa ran one truck) and another office out there.

Yes it does work for some people if you have the right property and house with a building. But average people are out in the boonies, in a HOA sub division or in a city with only two allowed parking spots per house / room for one or two vehicles.

So if the OP is an average person it would not allow enough for an income to sustain his/her self with personal bills or to support a family. But with the right stuff it would work. I still believe commercial is best, it's always good to separate your personal life from your business life.

Chuck Peterson

I have done both and have been home based the last few years. I'll list a few random reasons.

1. I have no desire to grow larger, just better.
2. I usually meet with customers at their place. There are a few reasons for that.
1. I like to see what they have. Office, shop, vehicles, etc. I get a better idea of what I can do for them.
2. I don't like being home all day.
3. They are glad to not have to leave.
4. Later, they can come to my place when convenient.
3. I also do artwork somewhat related to signs and often do some work after dinner and don't have to drive back to the shop.
4. I can take a nap any time.
5. I am able to separate work and home life. It takes discipline sometimes.

visualtechmedia

It seems they both have their pros and cons. I guess it all comes down to your vision and goals. With the home based model you have the option to expand into a large commercial shop if business is good and you wish to do so.

WildWestDesigns

So if the OP is an average person it would not allow enough for an income to sustain his/her self with personal bills or to support a family.

They were average people and it did allow for a sustained family income. Rather or not you have a store front or not is just one contributing factor that allows self sufficiency. It could be really great or it can be a flop for either way you do it. Part of the risk of being an entrepreneur.

It isn't for everyone and I'm not going to type here and suggest that one is better over the other for the OP for every single person, but I'm reading this hard line in the sand that says that it's either this or that and really it's a grey area. My suggestion would be to examine both in your particular area. Know the cons for whichever you decide so that way "you" can find a way to mitigate those cons.

I still believe commercial is best, it's always good to separate your personal life from your business life.

You can still separate home from work and still work from home. It's at times much harder to do. Takes much more effort to do. And that isn't for everyone. For a variety of reasons and none are either right or wrong, just depends on the situation.

I honestly believe, especially with the tech that we have enjoyed from the late 90s on, that it is actually easier to do some things and still work from home compared to how it was in the time that my grandparents were doing things and working from their own property.

To me, it's kinda of like, do I work for myself or do I work for someone? It really does depend on the individual. My dad and his parents always worked for someone and did quite while. My mom and her parents (the aforementioned grandparents) always did their own thing. Did quite well as well. Both have their pros and cons.

James Burke

Obviously, this is a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge issue, and is going to run the entire continuum of pros and cons.

The important thing to remember is that you don't outrun what you can effectively manage...all while maintaining good family relationships, good physical health and good mental health.

If you haven't already, sit down and make a life plan. Then, take whichever vehicle will get you to your destination.

I personally concur with a few posts about staying small, but that is part of my life plan. I just turned 50 this year, and am looking forward to welcoming grandbaby #3 in September. Since they're only 15 minutes from me, I love the freedom to shut off the lights, lock the door and go hang out with them whenever I need to. I'm not charmed by a huge operation...the simpler, the better. I never was one for chasing big money either.

JB

James Burke

Oh, wait until you tack on gas v diesel in that debate (diesel all the way(I can't help myself sometimes)). That will really get things going.

Grief, I forgot about gas vs. diesel. I usually log 3 or 4 miles of walking time on our rural back-roads every day. I can't believe the lust for diesel fuel in my neck of the woods. It seems the diameter of the exhaust pipes on those trucks is also growing exponentially...along with the noise they make.

Do I hear a "hell yeah" for Tesla...anyone?

JB

particleman

Home based can work well with the proper setup. Personally I sell exclusively online and ship everything. I do some work at my location and sub out a significant amount as well. I specifically don't allow customers to come to my location for insurance reasons and frankly I don't want local business. Most people assume because of the way I present my businesses online I'm a huge company. I have a professional voice on all my cloud phone menus, toll free numbers, @mycompany.com emails, etc.

Posterboy

I had a retail shop fron for 2 years, an industrial estate factory for 4 years, and I've been working from home for the last 4 years.

A retail location is all about having business walk in through your door. They come and see you because they are walking past or live/work nearby. If you want that kind of business I'd want to be in a CBD area surrounded by lots of businesses. Printing is primarily b2b so you need to be in the centre of things.
Industrial estates have the advantage of relatively low rent, compared to retail. If you want to grow and grow big then you'll need this. It will be too big for retail, and home. You won't get many, if any walk ins, though you will get a little business from your immediate neighbors.
Home setup, my current, work for me just fine. I've got a double garage setup with a separate entrance. It is a dedicated business area, and can't be mistaken for anything else, but I don't get walk ins.
My customers find me online, and if they want to talk to me, I go and see them, or I organize to have coffee with them somewhere. Unless they are resellers, I find people have no need to see how big my printer is. A reseller may want to look around and see what my capabilities are, and that's fine by me.
If you're just starting out, I would advise you to buy an existing business rather than start out cold. You'll get their equipment for half the purchase price, plus all the extra bits and pieces you don't know you need until you need it, a location to start, and maybe even a client list. Second choice would be to start at home, IF you can dedicate some space to it, I'm in a double car garage, and it is tight, but doable, I double you could do it with less.